Friday, October 17, 2008

Allergy Results

Today didn't provide us with any big revelations. We did however find out that Matthew is allergic to bananas. They only did a limited food scratch test, and there are many things that they can't even test for. I told Dr. Mercer that Matthew had his fair share of sinus infections and ear infections and she asked if in between bouts he sneezed a lot or had a runny nose. He really doesn't seem to. So she didn't test him for trees, grasses, mold, dust etc. My thoughts...even if he was allergic to such things, it wouldn't do that much good to know it, unless it was severe. Most of those things we try to avoid anyway.

Matthew was so good during the test! He sat in my lap facing me with his arms tucked under mine. They used three sets of scratchy things that had 10 or so allergens apiece on them, and they poked all three at the same time so he only got stuck once. He flinched up next to me and grunted at them a bit, but that was it. I had to hold him that way for 15 minutes and he was so precious. He gave me the best kisses and kept saying "Mama" over and over in the most adoring way. I sang him songs and he was very content. (I hope my voice didn't carry out the door...I was trying to sing in whispers!) He didn't have a severe reaction to bananas, but Dr. Mercer recommended cutting them out of his diet because she said it could contribute to his tummy troubles and eczema. We will watch to see if any results come from this. She said they have no tests for food dyes and preservatives, and that was something you determined by monitoring more or less. She said we should definitely keep him away from red food dyes since he had a pretty severe skin reaction to cake icing, red tic-tacs and hot tamales. I will also keep him away from the little packets of crackers/bread sticks that have cheese with them. He had a really bad reaction to the cheese before. She also confirmed that the reaction he had to the antibiotic Augmentin was indeed a drug allergy. She gave it a fancy name and said it was when there was only one localized spot/rash due to a drug. I have decided I will keep a food journal and try to weed out any offending foods that result in the most unpleasant surprises. (If you get my drift!) I know a lot of people have problems with preservatives, and that's something we can't test for, so maybe a food journal will help. So basically...no bananas, Augmentin, red food dyes, cheesy dip crackers, mandarin oranges (no testing for them, but believe me, you don't want him to have 'em!), chocolate/caffeine (due to night terrors...yes, this has helped TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!) and apple juice (something in there does something to him!) We're going to have a lot of fun weeding through Halloween candy! (Not to mention he can't have chewy/sticky candy due to a dental filling and cap) At least pop-tarts and viennas weren't included or we'd be in BIG trouble :) Oh yeah, soy beans was a negative so if he ever gets a hankering for one, he'll be safe!

On a very happy note...Jacob was proud to announce he made 110% on his spelling test and 100% on his reading test. He gets his grade card next week and I'm excited to see his grades. He also told me this afternoon that he wants to run in the royalty contest at Kyrock for the fall festival. Last year when I asked him if he wanted to run for prince he answered..."No momma, you have to run against first graders and they're faster than me!" He thought it was an actual running race! I guess he figures since he's a first grader this year, he will be among the fastest :) Everybody start collecting your change. Room winners will be decided on October 30! We will probably be selling some goodies too, so keep an eye out and a nose in the air for us!

No comments: