Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Okay, I thought since Matthew had his best day of speech last Thursday, that he was surely on the right track. WRONG! Today was the WORST day of speech EVER! He was mad from the get-go, and he threw a tantrum like I ain't ever seen! He didn't want to do learning and snack activities today...the wanted to go straight to toys. Well, instead of working thru, he just had a fit! He wound up biting and scratching his clinician, he was hitting the table, throwing stuff around, and then to top it off, he left the room. I was observing this whole time and I thought okay, I won't interfere, but they didn't bring him back quickly, I decided they might need some help. I went looking for him and they were over in the KAP wing. He had several people working with him, and he wanted in the kitchen! I went and got him and took him back to the speech room. I asked him what was wrong and what he wanted; he signed 'coke'. He was wanting a drink. I told him there wasn't any coke and made him clean up in the speech room. He complied, surprisingly. I took him over to KAP and then he didn't want to stay. What to do? I told the staff member to call my cell if they needed me, and I went out to Wal-Mart to get what I had to have. I went to pick him up early because I thought he was having such a bad day! HA!HA!HA! I went in and different staff members told me what a wonderful day Matthew had! To quote one: "He was happy, happy!" What in the world happened? Guess he just didn't want speech today. His clinician was doing a craft with popcorn, and that really seemed to set him off. I think he thought that was going to be his snack, and he doesn't like popcorn! Oh, well. We're off for a week, so maybe he'll do better next time. It's so hard though, to watch your child have such a hard time. I know he gets frustrated due to lack of communication, and it always makes me feel responsible when he is aggressive towards other people. When it's me with the bruises and scratches, it's one thing; I definitely don't want it to happen to someone else. He got me good Sunday at church on the arm and neck. I've been told the one on my neck looks like a hickey! Let me say with certainty that it is not. The tears I shed right there in church was proof of the pain :) Enough of that though. When he says 'Momma' and gives me a big hug, it makes it ALL better!

Matthew and Jacob are happily awaiting fall break, with only 1 day of school left!

Everyone say a little prayer for Baby Halle. She has had an awful time with ear infections and is scheduled to have tubes put in on Thursday. Today, however, Mom and I had to call Cassie at work and tell her Halle was running a fever. She took her to the doctor and she has another ear infection. They gave her two shots and she has to go back in the morning. If she is not better she will get another shot. They are trying to get her well so they can go ahead with the procedure as scheduled. Cassie will know in the morning if they will have to reschedule or not. I know first hand that handing your baby off to be put to sleep is one of the hardest things ever. Matthew had tubes when he was a little over a year old. (And Halle is only 3 months!) Knowing the doctor has performed the procedure countless times doesn't keep you from worrying either. The same doctor that put in Matthew's tubes will be doing Halle's as well. I was a nervous wreck in the waiting room that day, but the procedure was done in no time at all. When we got to go up to recovery, a nurse was holding Matthew in the rocker, giving him a bottle, while a throng of other nurses stood around gushing over him! Tubes really helped Matthew, as I'm sure they will Halle :)

No comments: