Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11...there's a pretty good chance that most everyone who is old enough, can remember what they were doing or where they were seven years ago today. I can remember vividly that Papaw Skaggs was in the hospital in Bowling Green, and Mom, Dad, Matthew & I were going to to visit him and stopped to eat breakfast at Shoney's first. When we went in, we could see everyone was tuned in to the t.v., and we weren't sure why. Then Carrie Apple from WBKO came in and began interviewing people and we began to learn bits of the tragedy and that is where we were when the second tower fell. It wasn't until we got to the hospital that we actually learned the magnitude of the mornings events. Matthew was only three years old then, I had just lost our baby in July, and Jacob was yet to be. I was thankful that day that I lived where I did, and it made me want to be with family more than ever.

Now, to the present...I spent the biggest part of the day with my homemaker cohorts checking in exhibits at the fair. It is a lot of work and nerve-racking, but we always manage to have fun. Nothing like the look on Alice's face when Shela told her she had to be quiet cause she was breaking her concentration. Then they both messed up, and it was quite humorous. Alice was registering my brother's cushaw, and entered his name as Jeromy Shaw. She can keep you rolling!

Matthew went to Western again today. I stayed and observed his speech and he got out of the room and laid down in the hallway once. I went and picked him up, led him to his chair, and told him to stay there and be good. He did vocalize and sign some. Words and signs included: mama (for me once), mamama (marshmallow), cracker, fruit. No new words, but he always has to warm up to the new clinician, and I was just glad to hear him vocalize any at all. She has this little cylinder that has about 20 tokens that go in it, and he seems to like putting those in there. (I think I have another perfectionist on my hands though. If the tokens don't go in straight, he straightens them. If I spread out a blanket for him, he makes sure he pulls the corners out. The other day we were playing in the floor and my shirt rode up the slightest bit in the back, and he pulled it down for me. TOO CUTE!) He really enjoyed KAP too. He's been laughing like crazy at KAP and at school :)

Jacob went to the fair last night with my brother and his family and had a blast. I was afraid it would rain us out tomorrow, and I wanted him to have a chance to go beforehand. He rode rides, played games and came home with a new goldfish. Ashlee won it and gave it to him since he had a fish bowl. The new goldfish is about 3 times the size of Nemo, and I was a bit afraid he might eat him. Jason says he won't so I put him in. Jacob has named him Spikey. Another 100% on his
reading test and 110% on spelling! That's my boy :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,,,,,,just where does Matthew get the perfection from?????? I know,,,,momma. And,,,,,Alice and I are best of friends,,,,so it's okay to tell her that she is getting on my last NERVE!!!!! I'm glad the fair is over,,,,aren't you???