Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dr. Kela Fee

On Friday night, December 12, Dr. Kela Fee passed away from this world. Dr. Fee was a wonderful doctor that was well loved and respected by her patients, colleagues and friends. Dr. Fee was special to me because she was the one who helped me bring Jacob into this world. Early on that Sunday morning, Dr. Fee was the doctor on call when I arrived at the hospital only minutes away from giving birth. Though not my doctor, I was a patient of her colleague's, she brought such a sense of calm to me that morning. (As much as could be had while in the throes of HARD labor!) She came in the door, literally moments before Jacob's arrival, walked over to my bed, put her hands on my legs and said, "Now this is what I want you to do." Now, I was a bit of a wild woman, but just her calmness toward it all, helped to settle me down, and made it possible for me to not loose total control during my very fast, medication FREE, delivery! What a memorable morning! Jacob was born moments later, and all the pain was completely worth it!!!!!! When Dr. Fee came in to discharge me from the hospital, she was so funny! She strolled right into the room and said, "There's my hero!" She sat down in a chair and talked to me like I was a long time friend. She told me different things that would happen and NOT to call her when they did, that it was perfectly normal! She didn't want to hear about it! Now had I been really concerned, she would have been more than happy to answer my questions, but it was just too funny to listen to her that morning. She told me to blame everything on my hormones, and kept saying the JCPenny slogan, "It's all inside!", referring to the hormonal changes. (This was also her son's favorite saying at the time, and she thought it fit the moment.)

Dr. Fee leaves behind two young sons. It is sad to think of the boys growing up without their mother, but she leaves behind a legacy that will help them remember her. It just always saddens me a little more to know that children are so young when they lose a parent. It will make you just a little more thankful for each day you have with your own little ones. From following along on Dr. Fee's website, you could tell just how much she was loved by SO many people. I just wanted to share my memories of her, since finding out about her passing just a few hours ago. She will be remembered by many, just like myself, for helping to bring precious little bundles into this world. I never think about Jacob's birthday without remembering how she helped me through it. Remember her little boys and family.

No comments: