Friday, November 21, 2008

EEG at Vanderbilt

Dr. Kilroy's office just called and they have scheduled an EEG for Matthew, to be performed December 10th. It will be performed in Dr. Kilroy's office which is in the Doctor's tower at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. It has to be a sleep deprived test because they want him to sleep while the testing is taking place. (That should be FUN!) Anyone who is with Matthew much, knows that he falls asleep when and where he wants and he wakes up the same way! I'm supposed to keep him up 2 hours later the night before, wake him up an hour earlier, and not let him sleep on the way down there! The EEG should show if Matthew has any types of seizures, and can give other clues as well. Anyone interested can just google 'EEG test' and there is plenty there to read. Some EEGs are performed while awake and others while asleep. Either way would prove 'fun' with Matthew. Hopefully he will cooperate and snooze for them :o) This test may turn up nothing, (which would be wonderful) but I want to leave no stone unturned that is within reason. There is really no particular risks to this test, so I don't see what it would hurt.
A little side note for those not around Matthew much: He has a head-slapping tendency that seems more severe than ever. Of course I have heard and read of children with autism having SIB's (self-injurious behaviors) but it is a hard thing to see your child hurting themselves is some way. I used to think, as well as was told, that if it hurt he would stop. Let me tell you, THAT IS NOT THE CASE!!!! Matthew does have a high pain tolerance, but he has made himself cry before. This is one reason why I am looking into further testing. If I can find something that would help this one behavior, it would be worth it all.

We will just try this test and go from there. I do know this...God will reveal what He wants revealed. There is a reason for all things, and He knows the purpose. Now, I'm not going all sappy on you...that's just the way it is! Besides, I don't want two sappy posts in one week's time :o)

Hopefully our tree will go up tomorrow, and that will make for some cheerful pictures to share! Jason was told that with the two days off next week for Thanksgiving that he would have to work tomorrow, but he doesn't have after all. Yippee (I think). He can be somewhat of a scrooge at times, so I may ship him off to the mother-in-law!!!! He's promised he'll do better (and even help) so we'll see! If he don't, it's off to his mother's! There will be NO bah-humbugging in this house tomorrow!!!!

2 comments:

Wanda May said...

Am going to try to get my trees up tomorrow, do not know if i will post them or not, so many pretty ones on the blogs....can't wait to see yours. please keep us informed of matthew and tell shela i love her so

Heather said...

I have Nathan putting out our outside Christmas stuff today. He wanted to be a scrooge at first but Dad stepped over to help and I think some of Dad's Christmas spirit is rubbing off on Nathan. Once Nathan gets started he doesn't mind it, it's just getting him started. I guess if I see Jason going down the road today, I'll know you shipped him off. Anyhow, can't wait to see the tree pics. Hope the tests go okay!