Well, I know this probably isn't something that most of you would even want to read about, but it is something I want to always remember, so I'm gonna share it here. I'll start by saying that Jacob did wonderfully getting up yesterday morning and was even kinda excited to go back to school. Matthew had to go back to the doctor yesterday morning to have his ears re-checked. From the time we got in the office, he was in such a good mood...he was laughing and giggling and squealing...in fact, he was being so loud that I had to tell him to "SHHH" lots. Now I would pin his good mood on the fact that he was getting to extend his fall break by another day, but truth is, he likes going to the doctor because it usually means a good treat afterward. If we have to get medicine, he knows he will get a bag of crackers or chips from the pharmacy, but we usually always stop by Sonic. Ha...I even use Sonic as a bribe for him to be good and quiet and tell him if he isn't good he won't get his grilled cheese and hot dog...and it almost always works! So...yesterday he squealed and laughed even as Dr. Stewart was in the room and she even got tickled at him. She checked him out and thankfully his ears were all better. I had planned to ask if he could get a flu shot, but she offered it first, so I said that I would like for him to get one. (Matthew's still smiling and laughing.) One wonderful thing about the seasonal flu shot this year is that it protects against the H1N1 virus this time, so there is no need for two immunizations! The "shot lady" came in the room, and I'm pretty sure he figured out that something was up. As she gave him the shot, he never cried or made a whimper...he just breathed really deep and hard a few times, so I know it had to hurt a little as Matthew hardly acknowledges pain unless it's pretty severe. It was all wonderful that he didn't cry, but the funny part was in the change of his attitude/mood. It was as if she poked him with a tranquilizer. He never made much more than a peep all the way out to the car. A couple of times when we were going out the door he very solemnly and quietly signed and said "cracker" because he knew we passed up the pharmacy, but other than that he was completely still and silent. We had to run to Walmart to get a few items, and he never made a peep the whole way there. I got parked, and went around to get Matthew into his stroller. He wouldn't even look at me, and he for sure wasn't getting out. I asked him if he was mad at mommy and he looked over at this left shoulder which was where he got the shot, and raised his sleeve up and then looked at me. I think it was his way of saying, "Heck yeah I'm mad at you...You let them do THIS to me!" :) I had to bribe him out of the car by telling him we would go in and look at the wrestling men! Ha...he made me feel guilty enough that he left with a new little wrestler in his hands!! ;) I just thought the whole thing was funny that Matthew acted like he had really gotten his feelings hurt!
Anyway, I know this seems so small of a moment that it wouldn't be blog worthy to most people, but you just don't understand what a special thing this really was. I treasure each little thing that BOTH of my boys do just a little more than those parents who have never seen their children struggle. Now...the real test comes today...Matthew goes back to school! I'm dreading it, but not quite as much as I'm dreading speech this afternoon! We haven't faced the speech people since the "little accident" last Tuesday, so I'm a tad nervous...I even thought about cancelling! I can guarantee you that I will be carrying in my bag with a change of clothes and lots of wipes!!! ;)

2 comments:
Good luck!! We have flu shots soon, I always dread those. Looks like Matthew was a real trooper.
Bribery is a good thing:) I love that he's had his giggle box turned on lately. I know there for awhile you longed to see that sweet smile on his face again....glad it's back!
Post a Comment