Thursday, May 14, 2009

Topsy Turvey Gardener

How many of you have seen these advertised on television and wondered if they really work?
(Sorry, just figured out that my new camera doesn't turn pics around for me!) Well, I'm gonna let you know if they do. My mom bought Jacob one when he got out of the hospital because during every commercial break that Nick had between episodes of Sponge Bob, they advertised one of these Topsy Turvey's. Of course Jacob said we NEEDED one, so Grandma came to his rescue. To his defense, Jacob loves tomatoes and I must admit the thought of stepping out on my front porch and picking a nice home grown tomato to slice for a sandwich, cheeseburger or salad, is mouth watering!
There is one downfall, that coming from long lines of farmers and gardeners, I hate to admit...
I'm not that good at growing things. It's not that I can't, it's just that I don't really have the time to invest in a garden. Shucks, my flowers end up dying every year because they don't get enough water. Another little truth...I'd probably be a better waterer if I had an outside water hydrant. The trips with a watering can from the bath tub to outside tend to get a little old after awhile and the plants begin to wilt along with my desire to keep them nourished! However, I've told a couple of people that I would like Lowe's gift cards and whatever is left after I buy supplies for my clotheslines that I long for, I am putting towards an outdoor hydrant! I told Jason my plan and he said I shouldn't use my birthday gifts for that, but listen mister, you know I've wanted those two things FOREVER, and I haven't gotten them yet! (Perhaps I should have asked for people to give me checks made out to the Med Ctr to put towards Jacob's hospital bills though! ;)

I never will forget the first summer Jason and I were married. We were going to put out a garden and it was going to be really nice. We went to a store in B-ville and Jason started picking out seed packets. I looked at him like he was crazy and said, "Jason, you can't just put those seeds in the ground and expect them to come up. You have to start them in a green house first and then set out the plants once they have grown a bit." I wanted to throw in "silly city slicker" for good measure, but I didn't...we had only been married a year...now there would have been lots of other adjectives thrown in! I didn't know you could do that. Papaw always had a green house, so that's all I ever knew. Guess who was the real idiot??

So, I'll let you all know how the Topsy Turvey works, so that you will know if it will be something you want to try next year.




I have also planted this cherry tomato in a flower pot. I know, it's probably not big enough, but it's all I had. It's probably gonna die anyway, so it's not like it really matters!

One thing I can grow though, is these huge hostas!
I LOVE THEM!!
They are my pride and joys of my gardening experience...I don't ever do a thing to them. My MIL had to split some of hers up and gave me a few of them. I split them and set them out, and now they are beautiful. She can feel free to give me more anytime she desires! They are about the only things that live around here, but I never have to water them!

Look at this bad boy!!!

I have this planter and I usually set out Gerber daisies in it. I've added some petunias, asparagus plant (no you can't eat it), and some viney stuff. We'll see how long they last... Probably as long as the rainy weather holds out!

Lastly, this is a pot of petunias that I have set on my porch. I mixed purple and some other color, either red or pink, I can't remember. Bless their hearts, they are on the porch and are shielded from the rain, so I'm pretty sure their days are numbered!
Yes, I really am that bad. I am the girl who can kill aloe vera plants which people tell me are virtually indestructible...and they set in the window right above my kitchen sink!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

You're ahead of me in getting out your flowers and plants. Those hostas are beautiful! I've bought some hanging plants and have those on the porch, but have only one planter planted. Good thing you can't see my house from the road. That would look awfully funny! I've bought some hostas and other foilage to plant in the rock garden, otherwise known as the landscaping around the house. I've got to dig up some sticker bushes and some ugly desert looking plants/bushes before I get to plant the pretty stuff. I've got plans to take before and after pictures, but it's gonna have to stop raining before I can do that!

I found a site online and printed out directions to make your own upside down tomato plant hangers using a bucket. It sounded easy, but I think I'm just going to plant them in some huge pots this year. I'm skipping the garden this year- I want to have a fun leisurely summer, rather than fighting the weeds and mosquitos like I did last year. I want to plant a squash plant though - any idea how to grow one in a container?

Anonymous said...

Poor, poor flowers that had the misfortune to find themselves planted at your house! LOL!!! I love Gerber Daisies too. I haven't planted anything since I went back to school, I don't think. I just don't have the time. But, like you I have killer Hostas! Thank goodness they are self-sufficient. I wondered about those tomato plants too!

Heather said...

You'll have to let me know if this works. I wouldn't mind attempting something like this. The boys helped Dad set out some watermelon and pumpkin seeds. At least they'll learn things are actually grown instead thinking everything comes from Wal-Mart.