Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

I am so blessed to be the mother of my two most handsome little fellas! This is my 12th Mother's Day, and I couldn't be more thankful for the most precious gifts that God has blessed me with. From the time I was a very little girl, I dreamed of becoming a mommy. When Jason and I had been married for a year, I found out that I was expecting our first little miracle! That is something that so many women take for granted...the ability to carry a child. I was no exception. Then when we wanted to add a sibling to the mix...not so easy. I FINALLY found out that I was expecting baby #2 and I could not have been happier. But, it was not the Lord's will for me to carry that child, MY baby, to term. At about 12 1/2 weeks, I went in for an ultrasound, and there was no heartbeat. I saw my baby on the monitor, just the tiniest little baby form, but it was there. That was such a trying time for me, but with help and strength from God, I was able to accept that it was His will and it was for the best. Oh, I still grieve for the child I will never know, boy or girl, and will never hold, rock and cuddle. Thanks be, I found out about 5 months later that I was expecting once again, and God blessed us with Jacob Nathaniel. My boys are my everything! I would not wish them to be the first bit different from the unique little guys that they are! I just thank God for me being able to be "Mommy" to my little guys!

I am thankful of my mom! We are so close, and I rely on her more than she knows. I thank her for all that she has brought me up to be. For teaching me there is more in life than what money can buy, for raising me in a home of love and most of all, for taking me to church where there was reality and providing me the opportunity to be saved.

I could never say what my mamaw means to me. Mamaw Skaggs is the only grandmother Jason and I have living, and she is a true inspiration. If there was anyone I could aspire to pattern my life after, it would be Mamaw! For one night in October, during revival at Cedar Springs, Mamaw came after me with a burden, and stayed with me till the Lord saved me that same night. All of our grandmothers have been so precious to me. My Mamaw Doyle and I shared the same birthday and I always thought that was special. I LOVED being the baby on both sides! So many Sundays I remember spending at her house, when she would cook us lunch. I miss her so much and would have loved for her to have known my babies. Mamaw Vincent was just the sweetest person. She cared so much and wanted to help in whatever way she could. So many times in her last years, she would call just to talk. I'm thankful of every time she did. Mamaw Brooks was the funniest. She was so "real". She loved her grandchildren and I'm so glad of each visit we had. I wish there could have been more. Jason's mamaw's seemed so much like my own, and that's how I thought of them. All three of those that are gone on are missed so much, but I am thankful that Mamaw Skaggs is still with us and is in good health.

I am thankful for my mother-in-law. She is just a special lady that I have grown so close to. She has lived a life in front of me that I am thankful for, and I'm proud for my boys to call her Mamaw. I am thankful of the way she raised my husband and for all that she instilled in him. When I think of a "strong" woman, Shela is the face I see. She has endured so much, but I see her as a pillar.

There are so many other moms that I am thankful for. I could go on forever, so I'll just say...Happy Mother's Day to you all!

We started the day off with breakfast with Mamaw Shela at the local restaurant this morning...YUMMY! Jacob gave me lots of gifts that he had made at school that made me cry like a baby! We had a wonderful service at church, followed by lunch at my mom's...rib-eyes and more...YUMMY!! We ended the day fishing at Mamaw Shela's. We had a great time and I can say I caught the most fish by a landslide! I got a new camera for Mother's Day and I 'm trying to get it all figured out! But my greatest gifts are...







Here's all the goodies Jacob made me at school. I honestly LOVE all the handmade stuff WAY more than anything they could buy me!!

Here's an example of what some of the poems say, so you'll know why I cried...
A bracelet of love made just for MOM
By little hands that will grow big in time
Remember each time you wear this
That all my love is in each one of the beads!

Reaching for Mommy
My hand reaches up for you to hold Mommy,
To guide my steps throughout my life.
And if I am ever feeling sad and lonely,
You'll take my hand Mommy,
And make everything right.

I'm growing up so fast
See how big I've gotten since you saw me last?
As I grow, I'll change a lot,
The years will fly right by.
You'll wonder how I grew so quick
When and where and why?
So look upon this handprint
That's hanging on your wall.
And memories will come back of me,
When I was very small.

Complete tear jerkers!!!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Snob Snob!! Jacob's gift pulls on the ole heart-strings. You will keep those gifts forever.
PS I am thankful Jacob looks like Jacob now instead of the bedsheet color!!
Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Heather said...

Okay, crying again...and I have the same poem. This stuff always makes me cry because I realize there growing so fast. Trent couldn't wait to give me his so I got mine Friday! I loved that he was so excited about it. I would take them little fingerprint cards over a store bought gift any day! Your boys are so precious and YOU are a wonderful Mom!

Staffanne said...

Glad you had a Great Mother's Day. Your boys are so precious! The gifts kids make are priceless!

Anonymous said...

So sweet! What a wonderful day for you!!! ;o)

Brooke said...

Love the poems!! How sweet!! Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!