Saturday, May 9, 2009

Girlfriends and Ghosts

I went on my very first "Girls Night Out" last night with a group of gal pals, and we had a blast. We had already planned to head to the movies, but a last minute birthday party was sprung on us and since all of our families were invited, we felt we should attend. SO...we went to the late movie! No keeping determined girls down!! We all loaded into a friend's Suburban and headed to the theater to see Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. It was really good and SO funny! It was definitely worth the late trip for all the laughs and giggles we had! That movie dredged up a lot of memories including tight-rolled jeans, stone-washed denim, mullets, big hair, and the like!!! We laughed the whole way home!

Changing the subject: Have any of you ever experienced a swollen uvula? For those that don't know, that is the proper name for the "hangy down thing" in the back of your throat. I first experienced this a year or so ago, and it's actually kind of scary. Well, I woke up in EARLY this morning (like around 3:00) and was gagging and couldn't catch my breath. It took me a minute to realize what was wrong, and it is so uncomfortable. I'm sure you all will want to know what causes this...I have done some googling and the first site is kind of a humor take on the situation and says that I must have been out drinking all night. Um, NOOOO, uh...I DO NOT consume alcoholic beverages, so on to the next theory. The other theories can stand alone or work together, and all are possibilities for me. They include, allergy reaction, snoring with your mouth open that causes dryness of the throat, and dehydration that can be brought on by eating something salty before going to bed. The first time this happened, I had fell asleep on the couch which was next to one of those plug in air freshener deals. Needless to say, that sucker got moved to the bathroom. I figured I was safe since there's only on person in this house that falls asleep on the toilet...and it's NOT me! The only thing I had eaten since lunch yesterday, was a small piece of birthday cake at the party, so I ate a few chips with salsa last night when I got in. I'm not sure if the salty tortillas and salsa had anything to do with it or not. I have also been told I snore...really loudly...and I would deny the fact, but since I have awakened myself snoring before, I guess I'll just fess up. Truth is, I think my sleeping ego is just trying to compete with my hubby since he is the king of snoring!!! After almost 13 years, I guess I'm tired of getting out-done! So, whatever the reason for the swollen uvula, it is a most uncomfortable situation. It makes eating hard too, since it's hard to swallow in the first place. Oh well, enough about uvulas; just thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced that and if you had any good remedies. I have tried drinking ice water to take the swelling down, gargling salt water, and once I tried taking an allergy pill as directed on one website. WELL, that scared me to death as I thought I was gonna choke on the pill since I couldn't swallow properly. Guess I should have tried some of the liquid.

Back to girls night...we are already planning our next trip! We all agreed after watching the previews last night, that we want to see Sandra Bullock's new movie, The Proposal, when it hits theaters. Oh, yeah, and of course there's New Moon that we are counting down the days to as well. A couple of the gals haven't watched, or read, Twilight, so we've got until November to get them caught up...Heather!! The wonderful thing about it was...all of the husbands were so gracious! They all did "daddy duty" and were even "okay" with it!! I know, they're all gonna want a play date too, but that will be okay!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I had a BLAST!! It was so much fun getting together and seeing a chic flick! Sorry about your uvula. I can vouch that all you had to drink was a coke. Can't wait till our next trip!!

Jenni said...

A couple of months ago, I woke up gagging and had the same problem. I could barely swallow, because everytime I swallowed I would almost swallow it. I literally choked down a benadryl and went on to work. I checked with the nurse at school and she asked if I had eaten any seafood, because that was a common symptom of an allergic reaction. I never found out what caused it, but after 3 benadryl's it was finally better!

Maybe you were just sooo tired that you snored all night long. Hope it's better soon.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say take Benadryl too.... if you can get it down that is...

You girls and your wild night... see what it got you??!!! I bet you ordered virgin margarittas and they gave you the real thing! LOL!!!!

Tiffany Vincent said...

I'm with you--I loved this movie! Jonathan and I saw it last Saturday and we both really enjoyed it. I saw the preview for The Proposal,too, and I'm looking forward to seeing that! Nights out with friends are sooo much fun! Glad you had a good time! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Kristin said...

I confess, I've had the swollen uvula twice. Both times it woke me up, swollen and elongated ( so much that it touched the back of my tongue). Talk about a gagging sensation... Good ole Benadryl works. Once I took Nyquil, couldn't find any Benadryl, and it worked also. Plus it was liquid and easier to swallow!

I am glad everyone had a good time. I hope to be availiable for the next night out!!