Well, I guess you could call me your official back to school counter, since that seems to be how I denote time anymore. Two weeks till school starts...BUMMER! We still have a few summer activities that we'd like to get around to in the next two weeks, so we'll see how much fun we can cram in! I informed my "night owl" that he was going to have to start getting into the school schedule routine tonight, so that it won't take him so long to get used to going to bed and getting up earlier.
This past Monday, we set out pumpkins. Let me try to paint a clear picture here...on Saturday, they sat out 600+ plants, on Monday I lost count; once you bend over so many times, it just doesn't matter anyway!...then they planted more plants on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday...and we're still not finished!! Granted that the weather cooperates and we get enough rain, we should have more pumpkins at Creekside than you can shake a stick at. Jacob was the supervising captain on Monday, as he rode along in the four wheeler with Grandmama who was watering the plants in prior to us planting them. We heard, "Move it Grandma! Plant those pumpkins people! Stick them plants in the ground! Butts in the air, heads down!! Move it people, move it!" I think Ashlee and Sydney were fixing to plant him in the dirt! :) Needless to say, he was quite hoarse on Tuesday.
Matthew started back to KAP on Tuesday and since it was raining, we got out of planting that day! Good thing too; I was so sore I couldn't move!! Jacob and I did a little fabric and supply shopping, which he doesn't care much for. He has informed Mom and I that we are just gonna have to get out of that yarn business. (Don't know where he got yarn from since we have never bought yarn or even used it for that matter.) While waiting in line to have our fabric cut, the lady in front of us was having the employee see how much netting was left on a bolt, which was 35 yards. Jacob looked up and whispered to me, "What idiot buys 35 yards of fabric?" Then he said, "We should have went to Hancock Fabrics. They're much faster at cutting this stuff." :p
On Friday, we went school shopping. Mom went with us and when we were pulling in to pick her up, Jacob said, "She's gonna have to start getting her fabric herself!" We started out at Shoe Carnival, with their buy one get one 1/2 off deal. Jacob picked his out and loved them. The rest of the way through the store, he he would open the box and say, "I just can't stop looking at these." Funny thing, he has always LOVED getting new (or new to him) shoes. When he was just a baby, he was always "showing" people his shoes at church. :) We got backpacks at Toys R Us, with FREE lunch boxes, and then wanting to avoid the craziness of Walmart, we opted to go to Target for the remainder of supplies on Jacob's list. We got all the supplies on his list, and now we only like a few new clothes for each of the boys to be finished and ready for August 2nd.
Yesterday morning, Jacob and I had to take Toby to the vet. He had a place come up on his chest and was acting odd, so I wanted to have him checked out. Since Jacob plays with him SO much and he comes in the house some, I want to make sure he's healthy. Plus, there would have been several broken hearts if something were to be wrong with him. Let me put in a plug right here...Dr. Thomas in Smiths Grove is a GREAT vet! His staff was great at trying to "include" Jacob in the visit, and they were all wonderful with Toby. Dr. Thomas began by saying what was wrong with Toby was going to sound a little odd. That didn't surprise me any...I figure if any family could get a cat with a strange illness, it would most definitely be us. Toby actually had to larvae of a rabbit ear fly under his skin. The fly had injected an egg under the skin and the hole that had formed in his skin was a breathing hole for the worm. He wanted to "scare" us a little by showing us a big hog daddy rabbit ear fly larvae that had been removed from a dog and preserved. Good grief! He tried removing it right there and Toby was being so good. He actually had to take him to the surgery room and make the hole just the tiniest bit bigger and he came back to show me the larvae...it was a very educational visit, if you can't tell. I kinda feel like an expert on rabbit ear fly larvae right now. Another little piece of vital info...we can keep Toby's name the same. I had been worried for some time that perhaps we might be giving Toby a gender disorder as I wasn't really sure if he was a boy or a girl. Some had told us he was a boy, and some said a girl. Well, since I'm a Googler, I even tried to google how to determine a cat's gender. The pictures just weren't that helpful! I was pretty sure it was a boy, but others who shall remain nameless, wasn't sure. I felt like an idiot telling them I wasn't sure if our kitty was a boy or girl, but they assured me they get that all the time, and he was indeed a boy. Whew! I thought for sure that Jacob would decide he wanted to be a vet after making the visit with me, but he said their was NO WAY he was ever gonna....well, let's just say they took a rectal temp and then a fecal smear on Toby, so I'm pretty sure that shot any dream of veterinary practice for Jacob.
Last night we went to the drive-in with some of our good friends from church. The first feature was Karate Kid, and I loved it! Matthew even liked it for a while and then he went sound to sleep. Jacob watched every second of it. One scary thing...in between movies, I start hearing this commotion behind us. I turned to look and a truck two rows behind (which was parked backwards) was backing up and slammed into the rear end of a car in the row behind us. No one was injured but it could have been bad. There was a little girl asleep in the back seat of the car that was hit, and it never even woke her up. We never heard was happened, but my thought was that perhaps the vehicle was on and a small child put it in reverse. Scary for sure! Eclipse was playing second, and as much as I LOVE that movie, I couldn't stay awake. Since we have such a long drive home, left about mid-movie. Though Jacob may not want to be a vet, I'm pretty sure Kung-Fu would be on Jacob's high list of things to do!
Today, we have already been to Sunday School, up to Glasgow to eat at Zaxby's and to the funeral home. We're back home and just enjoyed a little thundershower. Now it's time to rest a bit, and then get things ready for the new week ahead.

1 comment:
I guess this rain today should help ALL those pumpkins!! I seen pictures of you all at the drive-in. Looked like fun! Wish we could've went but the boys opted for the alpine slide at Cave City. It was a lot closer and FREE (except for our Cracker Barrel trip...ouch!)
Post a Comment