Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Quick Little Update

Praise be, Matthew had a good night last night and this morning!!! After 3 straight nights of the terror episodes, this was a much needed relief! I was completely useless yesterday and I'm pretty sure all the previous nights, plus the trip to Vandy had finally caught up to me! I took Matthew on to KAP this morning with all hopes that he would have a good day. I went to pick him up and got the news...he bit one of the staff members and broke the skin! Well crap!!! The lady that was working with him was so sweet about it. She said, "He didn't mean to. The staff member just got her arm in the wrong place." I really don't think that Matthew would ever intentionally hurt someone because he had a desire to inflict pain on them, but I think it's his way, however wrong it might be, of letting you know that something is either wrong or not going to suit him. Needless to say, I felt completely horrible and was glad I didn't have to look that girl in the face! I'm so sorry he did that though. The rest of his day was pretty uneventful and actually I have a brag for him! He asked again to go to church!!!! Last Wednesday night, I didn't dare take him to prayer meeting because he was completely out of sorts. Jason went on and while he was gone, Matthew came to me and signed and said "church"!!! He was disappointed when I told him we couldn't go. He did the same thing for Sunday school Sunday morning and then this evening he came and signed and said "church" to Jason. I don't know how he even knew it was church night. As far as I know, no one had said anything about it, but he was a happy camper to get to go. So happy in fact, he fell asleep and has been snoozing ever since!! I am so hoping for another good night and early morning! *fingers crossed*

Also, I learned something really neat today! The director of KAP was telling me about a scholarship program they are going to be starting. Let me say, the three hundred dollars per semester gets a little hard to come by! (in addition to the gas I spend to drive there and back two times a week.) My understanding is that there will be these little flyer type brochures that I, as a parent, can place around the community. On it is info about the program and a place asking for donations. People can then send in their contributions to the center. She said I could have them put Matthew's name on there or not. I still do not know all the details but I do know it is supposed to help the parents from having to pay so much. I will definitely be posting more info when I find out, but I am very excited about this opportunity! It is a policy of KAP that no child be turned away due to the inability to pay, but I also understand that they need funds to pay their staff and buy supplies. Another example...they purchased the materials to make Matthew's potty assister, for lack of better terms, and I am supposed to pick it up Friday to bring it home and give it a try! That is totally something they would not have to do, but they want to help the kids in whatever way they can. AWESOME!!!

3 comments:

Shela Brooks Vincent said...

Well, it seems Vandy couldn't help MTV, but Kelly Autism Center is, how great! Anxious to see this contraption they have made for him and hope it helps him. I'm also anxious to hear what the Dr says about his ears on Friday,,,looks like they should be healed by now, poor thing.

Heather said...

That's sweet that he wants to come to church. Hope you get some good news at the doctor tomorrow.

Brooke said...

Glad you had a good day! Hopefully a scholarship is in y our future! And by the way...........great job with the weight loss ticker!!!