Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Retirement Mom!!

Today my mom put down the hair shears, clippers, perm rods, color bottles, curling iron and hair rollers! After almost 22 years as a professional hair stylist, Mom has retired!! I am so happy and excited for her...(AND, now she can pick up Jacob for me at school next year too; what a wonderful little bonus as I was unsure as to how I was going to work that out with Grandmama not picking Patrick up at Kyrock this year!) Mom put in several years at the old sewing factory in Brownsville until the plant closed. Upon it's closing, the employees were given the opportunity to go to school for different things, and Mom chose to become a cosmetologist. She worked for several years at Regis in the mall, and then moved to the Wal-Mart in Bowling Green when Costcutters opened, where she worked for almost 15 years! That's a lot of standing on concrete and it definitely takes its toll on a person's legs! Mom has encountered lots of problems with her legs in the past few years, so I'm hoping some time off from standing so much will make a difference!

I had planned to have her a little retirement party, but then their revival was set to start tonight. So, I decided to have a "tiny" surprise party after church with just a very few people. (I didn't want to do anything too big and distract from the revival, so that's why we just had a tiny get-together.) I made homemade pimento cheese and chocolate cake, and we had other sandwich meat and chips. We also bought some "el cheapo" fireworks at the Dollar Store and set those off for the kids. Mom has had some wonderful clients over the years and some of them have been coming to her for about 20 years!! She will miss her "regulars", but I know she will enjoy being home everyday even more!! Of course she hasn't put down her hair gear for good; she will still have to do our hair for us. By the way, Mom, I'm needing a trim and both of the boys could use a cut...when could you schedule us in?! :o)

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Wonderful for your Momma!! I dream of retirement on a daily basis...just ask James! I get to countdown the days til NEVER!!
It was extremely sweet of you to throw a mini-celebration. I'm sure she was suprised and enjoyed it.

Staffanne said...

Congrats to your sweet momma! She deserves it! My momma is loving every day of retirement, and she is also a big help to me with my kids now.

Jenni said...

Retirement - what a beautiful word! I'm sure she is just tickled to not have to see Walmart so often! What a blessing to be able to retire at a young age.

I've been counting down my retirement since my first day teaching. 5 years down . . . 22 more to go!

Heather said...

Congrats to your Mom! She is so sweet and deserves to enjoy her time off. I can't imagine working in Wal-Mart, only because...I'd never have any money. I know every time I went in I'd think of something I needed before I left. That was very sweet of you to throw her a party:)

Brooke said...

Congrats to your Mom!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your Mom! She has earned it! I will be starting towards retirement at 40!!! :o)

Shela Brooks Vincent said...

I would LOVE to pick Jacob up any time you need me to,,,it's nice to be needed. I'm glad for your Mom and hope Gerry can retire before long too,,,,and enjoy the years they have left without working all the time.

Tiffany Vincent said...

I LOVE your homemade pimento cheese! Yum! That is wonderful for her! I'm sure she'll enjoy a little rest & relaxation!