I have just gotten in from the hospital, and I am tired! First of all, I'll get right to the point and let you know that Dad is doing okay :) We got to the hospital this morning at 5:00, and they took Dad back shortly after. They called out for us to come back, we were allowed to give him hugs and kisses, and then they shooed us out the door so they could take him on back and begin IV's and other prep procedures. At about 6:55, they called down and told us they were beginning the surgery. Dr Carter's nurse, Don, was very good about coming to the waiting room and giving us updates on what was going on at that particular time. They began by harvesting the veins they would use for the bypass, and then the actual bypass took about an hour and a half. Then there was the final procedures of weaning him off the heart/lung machine, warming him up and final stitching. By around 11:30ish, they were finished and Mom, Jeromy, Ashlee and myself were allowed to go up to recovery and see him. At this time, he was still sedated and on the respirator. I must say, he looked much better than I had prepared myself for. His color was good, he wasn't swelled much and all the gadgets, wires and tubes were not that intimidating. He looked rather peaceful. Around 1:35, we were allowed to go back up, and he was off the respirator and had an oxygen mask. He knew we were there, but he was still very sleepy. He said a couple of times that his chest hurt, and I could see in his face that he was in pain. That was hard! They gave him more pain meds while we were there, and he was able to drift off and on. We went back up at 6:15 and he was feeling much better and was on only a nasal cannula. He was not in pain but he was still rather sleepy. We told him that sleeping was a good thing, and that just told us he was at ease enough to sleep. We went back up at the 9:15 visiting time and he was doing okay. He did ask for more pain meds and his mouth was soooo dry. He asked if he could have ice chips, but before they gave him any, he got sick to his stomach and that done the ice chips in. I felt so horrible as I stood there and watched him knowing that being sick had to be hurting his chest soooo much. They gave him phenergan to help with the nausea and Mom stayed with him for a while longer. When she came back down, she said he was sleeping and was not sick anymore. I left shortly after and drove home to my sleeping boys! I will take them to school in the morning and go back to the hospital for the day and evening. They told mom when they go in for the 6:15 visitation, that he would have had a bath, his bandages would be changed and he will be sitting in a chair! I know he hopes to have had an ice chip by then too!
We have had SO MANY friends and family that have come to visit, made phone calls and sent word that they were thinking of us today! We appreciate EVERY act of kindness and each little thought! Keep remembering Daddy that he will make a speedy, but strong, recovery! The hospital staff have been great and we've been allowed to stay well over the 15 minute visiting time each time we've visited. Dad has had the cutest nurses and ain't even been awake enough to enjoy it :o)
7 comments:
I am sooooo glad things went well yesterday! Remember, Auntie Jenni would be thrilled to help out in any way needed!
I am so happy to hear that everything went well yesterday for your Daddy. I hope he continues to recover well and that he will get his ice chips and maybe more today. I am sure it was rough seeing him like that. Hang in there. He will be back home and up and going before no time.
Yeah!! I am so happy that it went well! Hang in there and keep us posted!
I knew my Gary was a trooper! So glad he is doing well. I will continue to remember you and your family in prayer. Knowing God and having him to depend on in times like this is so wonderful.
Tell ole Dad that they only let the mean and ugly nurses give the bed baths...that is my job!
Half the battle is over but the recovery process is tough.
Hope his spirits stay focused on the good and not all the negatives. I know he has the best support!
So glad to hear things went well! Isn't it amazing how quickly they have you up and going after such an exstensive surgery?! Hope everything continues to go well.
I am so glad to hear everything went well. I hope he continues to do good. I'm sure he will with all the "cute nurses" and all the family support.
Post a Comment