Monday, March 2, 2009

Dad's Test Results

I just got back to Mom and Dad's house and wanted to do a quick little update before going to pick the boys up at school. Dad's test results weren't too friendly. He has multiple blockages and is now facing at least a quadruple bypass surgery. The doctor initially told us that he had two options. 1. He could have stints put in place, which is much less invasive since they go in through the groin as they do for the dye test he had performed today. OR 2. Open-heart/bypass surgery. This is much more invasive as they open your chest, breast bone, heart, etc....

The doctor came in later and said upon further review and study of the results, he felt that the bypass surgery was the better option. With there being multiple blockages, he said that would be a lot of metal to put into your heart, which could lead to complications later on. He said individually, each blockage could be repaired by stinting, but with the multiples, he felt bypass was better. Some of the blockages are more severe than others, and there is at least one that is 100% blocked. There is a right coronary blockage that he felt was the reason for the abnormality in the stress test. The cardiac surgeon was going to come in and see Dad before he was released today and may possibly set up the surgery. I came on in so I could get the boys and then I am going to fix supper here for everyone. Please keep us in your prayers, as we are looking at a serious surgery in the future. I will pass along the operation date when it is set.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

We will keep your family in our prayers! Keep us posted

Jenni said...

I will most definately remember your dad and the rest of the family, too. My grandpa had bypass surgery when I was 10 or 11 and it took everyone helping out to get things done and to take care of him. When the sugery comes around, remember that I'd be happy to help in any way - watching the kiddos, cooking supper, whatever you need.

Heather said...

I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear. You know we'll be remembering you and your family. Please, if there is ANYTHING I can do to help, let me know. I don't care at all. You've kept my kids for me before so I would be happy to help you in anyway.

Brooke said...

Oh, Natalie! I am so sorry, but atleast you all know what the problem is and it can be fixed. We will keep him and his doctors in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated on what is going on and we will be happy to help you and your family any way we can.

Jeremy, Shauna, & Kennedy said...

I know it is discouraging to receive bad news. We would love to help if you need us for anything, no matter how small it may seem. I know it will be a long road ahead, and we will be keeping you and your family in our prayers.

Staffanne said...

Natalie, I will keep your sweet family in my prayers. Please keep us posted and know we are here if you need any help. Tell Gary when he gets all tuned up I will take him on in a game of softball...LOL! He has a "Winner's" attitude, and that will go a long way through this whole process. Jim had this done in 1996 and has felt great since then. Hugs to your mom because she will have a lot to go through as well.

Wanda May said...

Will be praying for all of you...in this day and time, they can do this easy. But I know how hard it is when it is family.