Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day 2009

The "Guys" and I have had one wonderful New Years Day! We have been home all day, and have just enjoyed being together. All four of us have stayed in our pj's all day, and according to the clerk at the store on our road, everyone else has too. Jason ran up to get some eggs, and she said she had seen everything including Bart Simpson on grown men's pajamas come in today. Now mind you, Jason had on a very nice pair of plaid lounge pants I got him for Christmas (no Bart for him) and a t-shirt with his coat. He was very decent :o) I have done some cleaning, but we have played and watched tv too.

I fixed our traditional New Year's Day supper this evening. Ever since I was a little girl, Mom always made cabbage and black-eyed peas on New Years and she made us take at least one bite. Now that I'm all grown up and my tastes have changed, I actually like cabbage and can tolerate the peas. I usually fix some type of pork and like most years, this time was pork chops. Jason actually grilled them outside, and they were delicious!! He likes to concoct sauces to grill with, but it always turns out yummy! I also fixed mac and cheese (for my picky little Matthew) and we had mashed potatoes and corn bread. Mom always made mashed potatoes and I would hide my peas in them and eat it that way. (I was afraid something bad would happen if I didn't try at least a bite!) Jacob really surprised me. I told him he had to try a little taste of the peas and the cabbage, and he did it! He did not like the cabbage, but he said the peas were yummy and asked for seconds!! :o) He also ate a pork chop and a half...told ya they were good! With sweet tea to wash it all down, we were in YUM-O land! Matthew and Jason must have gotten their tummies full, because they have both been asleep for over 30 minutes. Jacob is watching Kung Fu Panda, and I am here, blogging away! I still want to post pictures from last night's party, and I'll give a little run-down of the night's events when I do. I just haven't been out to get my camera from Mom's yet.

Matthew has sounded pretty yucky today, and if he's not sounding any better in the morning, I'm going to call the doctor and see what she says. He has had a little congestion for a few days, and for the last couple of days, he hasn't sounded too bad until he coughs and it sounds pretty congested. (I have been giving him some congestion medicine.) Today's has been a REAL loose sounding cough that leaves him a bit rattly and I don't want to let it go too long. I don't over-do it at the doctor's office, but with Matthew's history of ear infections and such, I see no point in letting things linger on until they get really bad. He had a really bad winter in 2007 with pneumonia and flu together that landed him in the hospital for a few days, and ever since, I watch him really closely. I would have taken him today, but with the holiday, you never know who will be on call, and I feel safe in waiting until tomorrow. I'll check him in the morning, and if I feel he's no better, then I'll call the doctor. I'll keep everyone updated, and it's hopefully no more than drainage from all the changing weather.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love days when you get to stay in your pj's! We haven't went anywhere either. It's been nice. Glad you guys had a fun day home, and a good meal:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such a nice day. A great start to a new year. Love the background by the way!

Jenni said...

Hannah and I stayed in our pj's too. We had such a nice, relaxing day!