Friday, September 11, 2009

Where Were You?

I'm sure everyone that's old enough can remember where they were eight years ago today. I remember it well. My Papaw Skaggs was in the hospital, and Dad, Mom, Matthew and I had gone to Shoney's to eat breakfast before going to visit him. The news was on the television there, but we weren't paying any attention to it until Carrie Apple, a news reporter from WBKO, came in and started interviewing people about their thoughts and feelings toward the morning's events. We still didn't fully understand what had happened, much less the magnitude of it all.

I do remember feeling that our safety had been violated. I worried about keeping my baby safe...Matthew was 3 at the time and Jacob was just a prayer in waiting :) My over-active imagination went into over drive, and I wondered just what the possibilities of an attack somewhere close to us would be. All I could do, and most anyone else for that matter, was pray for God's mercies and protection. I know I had to try and not dwell on it, or I'm pretty sure I would have went crazy. I can vividly remember passing by Hot Spot and having to pass cars that were backed up the road waiting to get gas. People were filling every container they had before prices began to sky-rocket. All the memorials and tributes on the television specials were so sad and heart-wrenching...lots of tears were shed. The loss of so many lives, but seeing the children who had perished pulled at the heartstrings a little harder.

On this newly founded Patriot Day, I'm gonna give my kids some extras cuddles and say a special prayer of thanksgiving for God's protection over us.

"Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?"

4 comments:

Heather said...

It gives me chills! Trent was exactly 2 weeks old. We had a doctor's appointment for his 2 week checkup first thing that morning. We were the only patients at the doctor's office that early and it was on the news. Like you, I still didn't fully comprehend what had happened. After we left there, we had to go to the Social Security office for his card. It was full in that waiting area so that is where we seen most of the news about it. Holding my 2 week old baby, I can remember worrying about his safety and what the future would hold after such an attack. I'm glad I know one that can protect us:o)

Jenni said...

I was working at the bank that day and we brought a TV out into the lobby so that everyone including customers could watch. Lots of us fought tears all day because it was sooo sad, especially when they showed footage of people nearby wanting to get closer to look for their families.

Being the slacker that I am about keeping my gas tank full, I had to get gas in order to make it back to the house and waited a very long time to fill up at Chevron- I'm thinking it was almost an hour.

That night watching the news I remember wondering if that was the beginning of THE END. I couldn't help but wonder how our lives would change if a war broke out on our land.

I think you've got a great plan for today; we truly are blessed!

Brooke said...

It was horrible. I remember when Jeremy and I got home from work we curled up and watched the news for hours.....crying for the people hurt, and thanking God that we lived in a place where we wouldn't really be a target. Such a sad day!

I have been teaching a lesson in the 8th grade langauge arts classes today where we have looked at the timline of the day and then watched rememberance videos on you tube. I then asked the kids to write a paper pretending that they were there when the crisis struck. What did they see? What did they hear, smell, feel? They have given me some AMAZING writings today.......they really have been respectful and curious about it all because they were only 5 or 6 when it happened.

Great post Natalie!

Jeremy, Shauna, & Kennedy said...

I was in nursing school at WKU. They ended up dismissing us early, because we were all so distraught, there was no way we could continue with class. I got in my car and called Jeremy at work...I just had to call and tell him how much I loved him. There was nothing else on the radio but continuous updates and I cried the whole way home, and then the rest of the afternoon. I am so honored that we have men and women who have given their lives to protect our freedom. About 4 yrs ago I went to NYC. We went to Ground Zero. If you've ever been, you know it is of course very loud in the city, but when we got to Ground Zero there was an eerie silence. I had to fight tears as I stood there and stared out at what used to be the twin towers. The buildings next to it still needed repairs...and there was a fire station, I think it was Ladder 49 right next to it. It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life...