My sweet little Matthew has been diagnosed with influenza, or flu as we all refer to it. He was completely fine yesterday at school and yesterday afternoon. Last evening, he coughed a bit before falling asleep at Mamaw Skaggs' house, and I just thought he might be having some sinus drainage. This morning around 4:00ish, he woke up and when I felt his skin, I knew he had a fever. I checked and it was 102. Now Matthew is the child who hardly ever, and I mean ever, runs a fever. Through all of his ear infections, and there's been plenty of those, no fever. I had a feeling and knew this was probably more than just sinus drainage, but I still held out hope. He also has a pretty nasty cough, and had a nose bleed this morning, so I called the pediatrician's office to get him an appointment with the physician on call.
After looking Matthew over, the doc asked if he had a history of ear problems and I told him he has a lot of ear infections. He said that his right ear was infected...which did not surprise me from the way he woke up a couple of nights ago hollering. He was going to treat him with an antibiotic for his ear infection, and since Matthew is on this certain prescription for his night terror fits, he cannot take decongestants or antihistamines. He was fixing to dismiss us when I asked, "So you don't think it's flu?" He said, "Well, I've never seen anyone have the flu and ear infection at the same time. But, what we can do is swab him for the flu. If it turns out positive, we'll give him Tamiflu. If it comes out negative, we'll treat him for his ear infection." I think he had intentions of just relieving my fears, but was not convinced the test would be positive, but he had a good manner about him and was very kind about it all. We headed to the lab and the gal stuck the stick up Matthew's nose about causing him to come out of his stroller, and did that ever start off a sneezing frenzy! He could hardly stop and let's just say they were productive sneezes! After many tissues later, we headed back upstairs, and it wasn't long till the doctor came out to the waiting room (we were the only ones in there at the time) and said his test was positive. My first thought was, "I can't believe my baby has the swine flu." Now those terms were never used, but I'm sure it is assumed by the medical staff that everyone knows that if someone tests positive at this time for the flu, it is considered the H1N1 virus, since there have been no diagnosed cases of seasonal influenza...and he has had his immunization for that. Matthew has been given Tamiflu and will take it for 10 days. The doctor said to keep him home from school until he is fever free and his cough has quietened down a great deal...looks like Matthew may be getting an early fall break, but it's sure not one that I want him to have. When Matthew had the flu before, they treated Jacob as well, but their policy right now is if the sibling is under five, they will be treated too; over five, which Jacob is seven, they are to be watched closely for any symptoms and to be brought in at first sign.
You can definitely tell by looking at Matthew that he is sick. It hurts my heart to see him so pitiful, and I hope that it doesn't get as bad as the flu he had a couple of years ago that landed him in the hospital. Please remember him...catching it early is a good thing, but it still has the potential to be very serious. It hardly seems fair that my sweet boy has to have this on top of everything else...I wish I could suffer this out for him. I know there is a reason for all things and I pray that Matthew is well soon. Love his heart, even being so sick, he would look at me while we were in the clinic and smile a tiny smile and try to giggle. He is precious beyond words!
Just as I finished typing the above, Matthew aroused from his nap, sick to his stomach. His fever has climbed to 102.7 and has brought on a bit of vomiting. I've given him some Motrin and will be rotating it with Tylenol to try and keep the fever down as low as possible. It's so scary for your child to be so sick.

4 comments:
Poor baby. If you need anything..........and I mean anything..........let me know! Love you all and hope he is better soon. Hope Jacob doesn't catch it too!
Oh goodness! I hope he gets to feeling better real soon. At least you caught early. Let me know if you need anything.
Poor little guy. I hope he feels better very soon.
Nan,
I feel your pain. I took Josie to the doctor and even though she tested negative for the flu. She had a temp. of 102 and above. They gave her tamiflu. She is doing much better. I keep Matthew in my thoughts and prays. Love you guys.
Post a Comment