Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back to WKU

Yesterday was Matthew's first day back to WKU for speech and KAP. Putting it mildly, he didn't have the greatest day. I really don't think Matthew was feeling well to begin with, and then throw starting back to clinic at him, and he was not happy! It's always hard when he starts back at CDC because he has a new clinician every time. They have to learn Matthew and he has to learn them. Thankfully, his clinician for this semester has worked with him previously at KAP a few times, so she is a bit familiar with him. First "uh-oh" was that the marshmallows were left in plain sight for when he entered the therapy room. I bet she'll have those hid tomorrow! Matthew decided a little later that he had had enough, so he was going to leave the room. When she tried to restrain him, he bit her arm and I felt HORRIBLE! The nice thing about CDC is that there are observation rooms that I can see and hear everything that happens, but Matthew can't see me. I wanted to go and help her so bad, but her clinical supervisor was in the room at the time, and she helped her transition him into having some marshmallows for a calming effect. She said they were going to end the session on a good note. The one thing that I'm really excited about it that they have introduced a Go Talk device to him. I think I will do a post a little later on my autism blog to talk a bit about the Go Talk and other forms of assistive technology. BUT, I am so thrilled that someone if FINALLY going to try this with him! I can really see him catching on and I can't wait to see where this might lead.

After speech (CDC), Matthew goes to KAP. He is usually really excited to go, but yesterday he cried! I finally got him inside, warned them that he had already bitten one victim, and left him amidst the chaos that is the first day back for any program. The entire time I was gone, I worried about what he would have done to whom when I got back. I secretly prayed for my phone not to ring for fear it would be the KAP staff saying he was being awful. When I went in to get him, he was chilling in the black room. They finally got him up and when he saw me, he began laughing and RAN, yes I said RAN, down the hall to me. They said he had warmed up by the end of the session. (I think he spent a lot of time in the white and black rooms!)

Yesterday, I contemplated taking him out of the programs...especially until we can get his medicine decided upon. I don't want him to hurt anyone else. But, I think I'll give it a little more time and see how he does. We have been adjusting his medication, but it just isn't working for him. If I give him the full dosage, it makes him so lethargic during the day he can't even function. (And he still doesn't sleep ALL night!) So, I've taken him off of his morning dosage. The results of that are...he is still way too lethargic during awake hours AND the self-injurious behaviors and aggression to others has made a come-back. ARG!!! So, I called the neurologist earlier and I'm going to see about switching him to a different medication. The worst thing is not knowing if it will help any more than the current medication, OR if it will make things worse! PLUS...these are some serious medications with some serious risks. I hate for him to have to take anything, but it's plain to see that he is going to have to have something. It's so hard to know what the right thing is for him. Please remember him. I just want MY Matthew back!

3 comments:

Heather said...

The first day back anywhere is always hard. Hang in there! I'm sure that was so sweet to see him running to you. Isn't it nice to know your wanted:o)

Robin said...

Nan,
First it was great to see you the other night. I want you to know that I think about you and Matthew all the time. I just pray that they will find a medicine for him so he can still be Matthew but keep him from the episodes. Love Yall

Jeremy, Shauna, & Kennedy said...

I will keep you guys in my prayers. Let me know if I can do anything for you.