Thank goodness!! Matthew had a much better day at WKU! He was a bit hesitant to head toward the therapy room, but wanted to stay in the lobby and look at magazines. However, after getting him out of the lobby AND past the snack machine, Matthew did better. One of the most awesome things about the room Matthew is in...it has a swing in it!! Yep, right smack in the center of the room is a hammock type swing! I am thinking about incorporating one in our house if I ever get around to doing some re-arranging and re-modeling on the upstairs :) Anyway, they planned swinging as the first activity to help calm Matthew and hopefully get him in a good humor for the rest of the session. It turned out that he spent the entire session in the swing and did his work from there...all while battling the urge to fall asleep. (He wasn't the only one...I sat in that dark observation room all alone and fought dozing off myself!!) They used the Go Talk again, and I think it will work for him once he understands it a little better. He is still wanting to do picture exchange, which has been what he worked with in the past. Also different today was that the clinical supervisor was absent and there was a fill-in. She was wonderful and stayed in the therapy session to lend a hand to the student clinician. I thought that was so beneficial. Not because the student did not know how to do the job, but it almost requires and extra pair of hands to hold the GoTalk, the items of choice and do hand-over-hand with Matthew. I thought it worked out wonderfully and it wouldn't bother me in the least if this happened every session. She also had the mallows hidden in a baggie in her pocket, so that helped too. Matthew was fairly vocal and requested, marshmallows, ball, and crackers verbally. I took a picture of his clinician and the room so that I can show him where we are going when I pick him up from school on therapy days to make the transition easier for him, as well as give him a clear and visual idea of where we going. Both the student clinician and her supervisor were pleased with the session, so that was wonderful for me!!
Matthew was a bit hesitant to go to KAP, but once inside he had a really good day. They said he was very vocal and enjoyed his crackers. Poor thing, he asked for them in speech and they didn't have those as a choice today, so I guess he was just happy to get them! My favorite part of the day...when Matthew peeks up the hallway to look for me and then his precious smile when he sees me waiting at the door :o) Don't get much sweeter than that! Matthew carried over his great mood and voice when we got to my mamaw's. He was sooo happy to be there and he asked very plainly for coke and bologna! He can be such a stinker.
I did get a call yesterday afternoon from the doctor's office and found out the medicine we had considered switching him to only comes in pill form, and Matthew has to have liquid. She said she would call me today and I never thought to tell her I wouldn't be home. I had a message to call her tomorrow, so after I take Jason to work, go to the parade and fair, and pick Jason back up from work, I just might have time!!! Happy Friday folks :o)

1 comment:
Matthew was great yesterday! I was tickled to see him come in the room I will be working in!! The girls I will be working with seem really great too.
Post a Comment