Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Autism Awareness - Part 1

Well, I had a really quirky post all ready in my feeble little brain to do for April Fool's Day, but since April is Autism Awareness Month, I decided instead to post about one thing that I am very passionate about...Autism Awareness! As you all should know by now, my oldest son, Matthew, has been diagnosed with this disorder, and I would LOVE the chance to spread a little awareness! If it's no more than to the few readers of my blog, then maybe there will be at least one person that understands a little bit more about this cause that is gripping so many of our children today. I have planned to do several posts that will be rather candid and explanatory of "MY" experiences with autism. I do stress "MY" experiences, because as no two children are alike, there are no two children with autism that are alike! What we go through as a family will be completely different from what the next family will experience because children with autism have such a wide range of characteristic behaviors at such varying degrees. If I accomplish nothing more than a generalized overview of "OUR" world of autism, then maybe at least one of you will come away from reading my posts with a greater sense of understanding and compassion for what diagnosed individuals and their families face EVERYDAY!!!

For this first post, I want to explain one little trivial point. You may notice that I rarely refer to Matthew as "autistic". This is due to a book I read that said you should not refer to an individual as autistic, because they should not be defined by their disorder. Much as you would not refer to a cancer patient as "cancerous". I know that is very trivial, but it certainly struck a cord with me, and since reading that, I have a hard time referring to individuals as autistic. There is much more to these children and adults than the disorder that they live with. There is a person there with feelings like any other individual. They have the ability to be hurt, angry, embarrassed, sad and happy just like any typically developing individual. (Note I do not say NORMAL - who knows what normal is anyway! Another point from a book that has stuck with me!)

I hope that by taking you on a bit of our journey of our world of autism, you will come to understand the effects that autism can have on not only the individual diagnosed, but the family as a whole. I hope this is something you will enjoy learning about because it is such a passion of mine. Please know that I DO NOT consider myself as an autism expert. I only have the knowledge of what my experiences have taught me. I have often said that I'm no expert on autism, but I am the expert on Matthew! I am the person who understands him better than anyone else, and for that I am grateful! It is completely natural for a child to love its mother, but when you feel the love of a child with autism, you know you have received one of the GREATEST GIFTS!!!

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm anxious to read the rest of your "series". I've been interested in disabilities since I was still in high school and I'm always eager to learn more things about autism. Of course, I've got a soft spot for that particular disability - hmm . . . wonder why? Could a beautiful blond little man have anything to do with it?

I have a post request. Could you post the books that you've found helpful as a parent? Not only would I like to read them, but I'd love to be able to pass on the resources to the my student's parents and to my WKU students.

Heather said...

Can't wait to read more! Matthew is such a sweet boy. It just cracks me up the way he is with Nathan. It's like he's just not figured out whether he wants to like him or not. It's okay Matthew, I've haven't figured it out either:)....just kidding!

Nan said...

Heather, thankfully Matthew doesn't scream when he sees Nathan now like he did when he was littler!! Remember how all I had to ask him when he was being loud in church was, "where's Nathan?" and he would stop immediately and stare at Nathan!! I don't know if Nathan has forgiven me for that yet :)

Anonymous said...

You are so right about using labels. In my first exceptional education class I said that I worked with an autistic student and the professor corrected me by saying the proper way was, I work with a student who has autism. I certainly meant no harm, and like you said to most that would seem trivial. But it is very important. While those children do need a label in order to receive services they do not need to be defined by their label.

I would like to know the name of the book too. I know it may sound weird to say that I am fascinated by autism but it is of great interest to me. I hope very much to enter the autism program after I get my degree. I would love to work with those kiddos in my very own classroom with a white room and black room and sensory wall and a ........... I know wishful thinking! :o)