Friday, April 17, 2009

Physicians Frequent Visitor Cards

I used to joke with the receptionists at our pediatrician's office when Jacob was an infant that we needed to begin a frequent user card promotion! Between his well baby visits plus times of sickness, and all of Matthew's ear-infection visits and re-checks, sinus infections, etc. we were at the doctor a minimum of once a week there for a while!! Those co-pays and prescriptions added up after a bit. Well, it seems we're falling back into that same rut! Week before last, I had to take Jacob for his sore throat, that thank goodness, turned out to NOT be strep. Then last week, Matthew ended up at the office for tons of congestion. (He is feeling better, but still has a very nasty sounding cough. He doesn't cough often, but when he does it sounds horrible!) THEN...last night we were at church and about halfway through the service, Jacob begins complaining with his throat hurting to the point he is almost crying. After church, we bring him home and I take his temperature and it's 102. I give him Tylenol and he goes off to sleep lying on the couch. I'm on the computer feeding my internet addiction, and he starts talking. He has a very weird look in his eyes and is talking silly. I'm thinking, "Oh my gosh, he's delirious from fever!" He's acting so strange, and I'm thinking he may even throw up because he tends to do that if he's running a fever. So I'm running around grabbing the garbage can and considering the possibility of stuffing him in it in case he blows, and he says he needs to go potty. I'm thinking, "Great...diarrhea!" But alas, he only had to pee! Even while in the bathroom he continued to talk nonsense and I was a bit concerned, but amused too. Finally, he began to be a little more like his normal self and went back off to sleep. The rest of the night was very peaceful, other than Matthew waking up around 1:00 or so and not going back to sleep!!!!!

I took Jacob to the pediatrician today, and that puts my total to three visits in three weeks! She said his throat was VERY red and raw. She said with the fever and such redness, she wanted to go ahead and test for strep even though he tested negative for it last time. She said if it's not strep, she thinks it is just really irritated from drainage. He is starting a new antibiotic, so hopefully it will clear him up soon. I guess that means we'll be sitting out of church tonight and until he stops running a fever :( He has his first ball game tomorrow, and unless he feels extremely bad, I guess I'll let him play. We will be outside and he doesn't have to be in too close a proximity to others. As we left the doctor's office today, I told Dr. Stewart we'd probably see her again next week! I should have had the girls to go ahead and make my weekly appointment!! ;)

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about! I no sooner than pay for one visit and then we're at the office again! I hope Jacob gets to feeling better. I'm glad he didn't have diarrhea -that might have meant that Hannah passed it along!!

Heather said...

Poor Jacob! Maybe this antibiotic will kick it for good this time. I could tell he didn't feel good last night but I thought maybe he had just woke up. Trent had that same look, but I think he was sleep walking to the car!

Tiffany said...

Do they see Dr. Pinkley Stewart? She was my pediatrician and I was sooo sad on my last visit (when I was 17) ha! Hope Jacob feels better soon! I think Matthew & I have the same cough. I actually went to to doctor today, too, and thankfully left the pharmacy today with a z pack! Hopefully that will do the trick and kick this 10 day sinus infection that I've had!

Nan said...

Yes, Dr. Pinkley-Stewart has been our pediatrician since Matthew was born! We LOVE her!! She has been such a help with so many different things with both boys. She noticed some things that I'm not sure if someone else would have picked up!

I picked Matthew up from school today and they said he was in a horrible mood and they didn't think he felt good. He probably didn't feel good since he had been up so long, but he sounded a little hoarse to me too. I was really kidding when I said I would probably have another visit with Dr. Stewart next week, but it looks promising!!

Shela Brooks Vincent said...

That makes me wonder if he actually DID have strep last week, and the anitibotic wasn't strong enough to get rid of it,,,,so it's BACK!! Poor Jacob,,,,,,,sorry you missed the two girls getting saved tonight,,,,it was good!! Missed you.......