Merry Christmas from our family to yours! We had a busy Christmas Eve and our Christmas morning started very early ;) We went to Jason's mother's house yesterday for lunch...it was the first Christmas Eve since Jason and I had been married that we hadn't went over for breakfast on Christmas Eve, but sometimes traditions just can't be kept. We weren't used to having that extra time in the morning, and I of course procrastinated making the Oreo balls and dessert for Mom's dinner until then. We exchanged gifts with Mamaw Shela and Jonathan and Tiffany. We headed over to my parents' house for dinner. Grandmama (Mom's oldest sister) two of her kids and their families, and Mamaw Skaggs come over to have dinner with my family and then the kids exchange gifts. We also have a Dirty Santa ornament exchange for the adults to add a little fun to the party. Later on, my family and my brother's family exchange our gifts to one another, which dates back to when we were kiddos...we would exchange our gifts to one another when we got home from Mamaw and Papaw Doyle's house on Christmas Eve. Jacob was so tickled to get his "i-pod" from Uncle Jeromy and fam. He had put this on his Christmas List a few weeks ago after listening to Ashlee's real i-pod. They got him a MP3 player that was a VERY nice price and he loves it. So much for name brand...we call it an i-pod and that's what it is to him!
We came home to hang up our stockings, put out cookies and milk for Santa, read Twas the Night Before Christmas, and one added bonus...we put Jacob's front tooth under his pillow for the tooth fairy...yep, he pulled one yesterday morning and was visited by the tooth fairy and Santa in the same night! This morning, he checked his pillow right away and was almost as excited about the money that was left there as he was by the gifts Santa had delivered.
Our tradition has always been to open gifts here at home starting around 4:00 a.m. My family has always had an early Christmas morning and I LOVE IT! When I was just small, we would be at Mamaw and Papaw's around 5:00 in the morning...Papaw would be sitting in his chair waiting for us and Mamaw would already be busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast! The boys were both so excited to see what Santa brought them this morning!!! The way their eyes light up is just amazing! Jacob got a Nintendo DS, Air Hog Switchblade helicopter, Snuggie, steel and crystal Bakugans that he has wanted FOREVER, and a few more things. Santa was so special to Matthew this year. He gave him the gift of communication by bringing him a Go-Talk of his very own!! Such an amazing gift! He also got Race to Witch Mountain that has his favorite person (The Rock), a pin-pression board, and Eddie Murphy movie and a few more things. Santa was extra giving to the boys this year and I want to thank him and Mrs. Claus for all they gave...We love them more than words could ever say!
We followed up by heading to my parents' house to open our gifts from them and then went on up to Mamaw's for breakfast, more gifts and being with family. I'm thankful as many of my family was there today as there was. It's so sad when families can't be together for even one day out of the year...even sadder is when a seven year old knows some are people are missing.
We came back home so the boys could play and we could just rest for a little while. We'll be heading back over to Mom and Dad's this evening to have leftovers for supper...that's become as much a tradition as anything else! OH YEAH...Mom and Dad were extra sneaky this year and surprised my family and Jeromy's family with lap-tops apiece!!! I had helped Mom do lots of shopping, but they kept this surprise SO well! We had NO idea! :) Mom's gift was an embroidery machine (which my niece and I have both wanted FOREVER!!) I told Ashlee this morning that we had laptops and an embroidery machine, so I saw a business starting in the future!)
Gifts aside, we have had a blessed Christmas. I am thankful to have my family and that they are healthy. Some of our gatherings were different this year, but the Lord knows all things. God has been good to us and I want to thank him on this special day for the sacrifice He made so that MANY years later a little nine-year-old girl could bow at an old-time altar and be given the most precious gift she will ever receive. Thank you Lord for my blessings and for a wonderful Christmas!
PS~ I have tons of pictures from yesterday and today, but quite honestly, I am just too tired to post them...my desktop pc is not wanting to cooperate and I haven't gotten the laptop loaded with my camera yet...I'm hoping to have a slide show fixed in a day or two.

1 comment:
Wow! Sounds like you guys have had a wonderful Christmas. We are very blessed to be able to spend this special time with our family and friends.
Post a Comment