Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Health and Wellness Results

I received my results from my health and wellness screening in the mail today. Let me begin by saying that that was just the icing on the cake for the day I've had. You see, Jason headed off to work this morning with my keys in his coat pocket. I didn't know this, however, until it was time to head out the door and I go to grab my keys. I turn into that frantic woman searching every possible spot they could be until I think of the coat. Long story short....they were in the coat! I called Mom and she was sweet enough to brave the horrible and nasty winds to come pick the boys and myself up so we could drop them off at school. They received their first tardy for being late of the morning...ARG!

Back to the results...

The wellness screening that we participate in is for the insurance at Jason's work. If we participate, we receive a discount on our insurance. Now this is the part that gets me...if the Publisher's employee is married, both the employee and his/her spouse must participate in the screening in order to receive the SAME discount as a single employee! Shouldn't it be more since two of us have to be tortured??? Oh well...here's a run down of how the screening works: registration and turn in the wellness questionnaire that you are to have already filled out; blood pressure is checked; weight; body composition check...they take this clamp like thing and see how big three different points of your body are...so not nice!; a three minute step test...you step, in rhythm, up and down on this "step" for three minutes and then they check your pulse; flexibility test...you see how far you can stretch and push a bar on this little metal box thing in front of you; curl ups...see how many mini crunches you can do in a minute; blood work.

Now, turns out my blood pressure was a little high. Couldn't imagine that since just the night before I wanted to claw my hubby's eyes out for the "accident" with the mac and cheese on the way to the KAP dinner! The weigh in is always humiliating and all that came from that and the body composition check was that I learned I am "overweight"....uh, duh! The step test...after the three minutes, I was trying to keep my composure while the dude took my pulse when all I really wanted to do was breathe like a heifer! Seriously, I thought my lungs would explode because I was trying to keep from breathing so hard! The flexibility....AH! That is my true calling! I have always been amazingly flexible and that was the only section of the entire screening that I scored an excellent on!!! :) The sit up things are just my enemy...plain and simple! The blood work: Wow, my bad cholesterol was so high that not long after reading my results, I received a phone call from the lab who does the tests, telling me that they were just calling to reiterate that my cholesterol was too high and that I might want to contact my physician so they could keep a check on that. Just wonderful! My good cholesterol was a bit too low, but my triglycerides were okay. Gee whiz! Some of Jason's numbers were not good, but at least they weren't bad enough that he warranted a phone call. I have called Mom and informed her that we ain't gonna be able to run through Dairy Queen for a biscuit when we go shopping anymore :( Cheerios, here I come.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Maybe a biscuit every now and then won't hurt. A girl's gotta eat!

Wanda May said...

My friend, if you know 1 thing, know this: YOU ARE NOT ALONE...URG

Robin said...

okay maybe i should stop eating the biscuits too...they are just so good. I love the heifer part. That is exactly how i feel after a workout...that i rarely do. Man I love ready your blog...and I love you of course.