Monday, June 2, 2008

Today was Matthew's first day of KAP (Kelly Autism Program) for the summer session. He was not the happiest camper when we got there. He was glad when we pulled in the parking lot because he really likes to go there, but there were some changes inside that did not bode well with him. First of all, his favorite 'KAP girl' was not there. She is going to be out for the summer and he was not happy. He didn't know any of the staff that were in his group, and his routine was also different from the last couple of semesters. You throw that at any child with autism, and you could be looking at a major disaster. Needless to say, I was a bit apprehensive about leaving him, because I was afraid he was going to have a major meltdown. (I know they have a scheduled snack time, but I was afraid of what might happen when that girl told him he was going to have to wait till snack time to get his crackers. He's used to using his PECS cards in speech first thing when we go in and he would get a cracker in return. So that had him really messed up when he found his cracker card, gave it to them, and then was told he couldn't have it.) Things were looking up though when I went back to pick him up. He was in a super good mood, and they said he had laughed and giggled for the last hour! Hopefully as they get to know Matthew a little better, and he gets used to them, things will go more smoothly.

Jacob had his last regular season ballgame tonight. Now they only have the tournament left and I have never been so glad. Once again, it is a shame the way adults act at these t-ball games. It honestly would not bother me if Jacob didn't want to play next year. He doesn't even like the games right now; he just likes to go to practice because he doesn't have to worry about getting out! Maybe some of the 'grown-ups' will mature a little before the next season!

No comments: