Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Joy and Heartache

Tonight I got the joy of being at the hospital when two of our sweet friends welcomed their brand new baby into the world. It was so very exciting not knowing whether the new papa would be carrying out a baby boy or girl. While several of us had made our guess that it would be a girl, our hearts were all stolen by sweet Baby Garrison! :) An absolute beautiful baby boy, and his big brother was SO proud of him! Welcome to the world Baby Garrison!!! We already love you bunches!

Changing gears a little...I called Jason after the baby arrived to tell him it was a boy. I asked him if he was on his way to church, since he was going to take the boys to my mom's to stay while he went to prayer meeting. He said he was on his way, but thought he would turn around and go back to get the boys. I asked why, and he said that the doctor's office had called Mom. I knew right then that it was bad news. The results from the biopsy she had done on Monday had came back as Lentigo Maligna Melanoma. Thankfully, I was alone by the windows as the tears began to fall. I can never thank my friends enough for being there for me in that moment. While I wanted them to just enjoy the precious moments of the new baby, they showed me love and strength. In the time that I was waiting for Jason and the boys to come pick me up, (I rode with a sweet friend down there, but felt I needed to go on home right away after learning the news.), all manner of thoughts ran through my mind. Things that I never want to have to think about. I didn't want to put a damper on the joy of this precious new life, but I couldn't keep the tears from coming from time to time....I'm thankful that my friends were so understanding and lent me their shoulders to cry on. I stopped by to see Mom on the way home, and found out that it was only in the first layer of skin, which is good. On Friday, she will go back to his office and he will take the skin from around the site, and test it. The diameter will be increased until it comes back with no cancerous cells. While what I have read gives me hope that it can be taken care of on Friday, it is a horrible feeling to find out that your Mom has cancer. I can't begin to express what Mom means to me...a best friend, role model, support system, and the list goes on. If we cross your mind in the next couple of days, please remember us in your prayers.




2 comments:

Robin said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all...LOve you.

Heather said...

I have thought about you so many times since last night. I KNOW prayer can change things so hang in there! I did enjoy our labor and delivery stories on the way to the hospital. I enjoy telling those stories and not everybody wants hear those details:) And, I was pretty sure my face would be so sore today from laughing at Prock's stories in the waiting room...funny, funny!