Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day 2009

Today is the day that has been set aside to give reverence to, and show our gratitude and appreciation for, all of the men and women who have served our country and helped to secure our freedoms that we too often take for granted. However, just as Christmas should not be the only day we think of the birth of Jesus, or Easter the only time thought is given to his crucifixion and resurrection, or Thanksgiving the only time we give thought to our many blessings, we should not only think of these men and women today, but consider them each day that we are allowed to walk and talk in freedom, as well as their families and loved ones.

I went to Kyrock today to attend the program they had and it was very enjoyable. I know I'm just a big ole sap, but I there really is something about listening to the children sing the songs of freedom and patriotism that cause tears to prick at my eyes. More than once today, I was blinking awfully hard to keep a tear from trickling. I know there are many of the children who are too young to understand what today is truly about, but they put their all into the program and it was so sweet. I know the Veterans in attendance were honored for sure. They had a few songs that the entire school sang and each of the third and fourth grade classes sang an individual song. There was also a slide show of veterans who were being honored by the students and staff of the school. I had planned to scan Dad's service picture and send it in, as well as tell them to keep Jacob's Papaw Ronnie and Papaw Vincent in the program, but time slipped up on me and I failed to do so. Much to my delight, I saw they had kept them on the program anyway. Jacob was looking very patriotic in his red, white and blue this morning and I told him that his Papaw Ronnie would have been so proud of him and that if he were still with us, he would have been honored to attend the program today as Jacob's guest. I know I mentioned last Veteran's Day that Jason's dad and grandfather were both veteran's of this country and both served in active duty. My dad is also a veteran. He served in the Army Reserves, and while there were no wars or conflicts in his service time, he still gave of his time to serve this country and would have answered the call of duty had it came. (I'm thankful that it didn't.)

While I'm sure there are no veterans who read my blog, I still want to offer up my thanks and gratitude to ALL who have served, are serving or will serve in the future. I am truly thankful to be an American!!!

I took a few pictures and videos today. I have included a few. (Now don't go making fun of my video skills...there were times I thought I was videoing and really wasn't and vice versa! I tried to include the ones I liked best...I lucked out and was able to sit very close to Jacob :)

Jacob waving his flag while one of the classes sang, ♫♪Your a Grand Old Flag♪♫

I realized Ronnie's name was on the program in just enough time to snap this photo. I missed Papaw Vincent's though...he was at the very beginning and I overlooked his name until later.
Each veteran in attendance was asked to come to the floor, give their name, branch of service and time served.

Jacob and his classmates waiting their turn to "thank the veterans".

Waving bye to me as we were leaving :) I love his patriotic shirt.
Here are the video clips...not that great and I've not even tried playing them since adding them...they may not even work!


♫♪God Bless the USA♪♫


Second rendition of ♪♫God Bless the USA♫♪


Jacob shaking hands with the veterans. All of the students shook hands with the veterans in attendance as a way to say "thank you".




♥Thank You Veterans and May God Bless the USA!♥



1 comment:

Heather said...

Just for the record...you were not the only teary-eyed one there. It is definitely something to be proud of. We were talking at lunch how everyone really seemed to put there heart into this time. I know my boys have talked about this program all week. Everything they've played and talked about has been about soldiers. When we got home today Trace said, "I'm really fankful (thankful) to live in America. I'm just so sad that soldiers die." How precious!!