Today has been a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! A great day of reflection, counting blessings, family togetherness, and of course great food ;) My guys and I spent the morning here at home and then left to go to my parent's house. Each year for Thanksgiving, for as long as I can remember, we have had Thanksgiving lunch with my Mom's family and it will alternate from one family's house to the next, with a potluck style meal. Mom and Dad were the hosts this year, and since they have been attending a revival, we went over early to help with last minute preparations while they were at church. There was so much delicious food!! My Mamaw always made the turkey and dressing when I was younger, but a few years back her health was a bit poorly and Mom fixed the turkey and dressing, by Mamaw's recipe of course, and has been stuck with the job ever since :) There's not much I like better than some good ole homemade dressing! There was enough to food to feed a small army, and leftovers enough for us all.
Beyond the food, I was thankful for the ones of my family who were there and for the wonderful feeling that was present among us today. Hearing one after another talk about their heritage, salvation, hope and prayers for the future, and memories of Pa who is no longer with us in body, but ever so present in thought. It doesn't take being around us very long to realize the love that our family had and has for Papaw and Mamaw. They helped the greatest portion of our family when we were lost, and that is a love in itself that doesn't waver. It was a blessing to hear the generation younger than myself tell of a desire to live in a way that they could be a light to the younger ones coming on....truly a hope of help when the time comes. I love my family beyond measure and today was a true example of why.
We headed home after helping clean up, for a bit of rest and "down time", and then we went to visit with Mamaw Shela. The joy on Matthew's face when he knew where we were going was priceless. He would laugh and squeal so hard and would try his best to say "Mamaw Shela". How precious! Matthew had to have more to eat and Jacob and I played games, until they both conked out!
We have no real plans for the rest of the weekend...I do foresee lots of cleaning, laundry and more Christmas decorating in the works :) There will be NO shopping for me!!! I have never been on Black Friday and do NOT intend to start! Fighting just to save a few bucks is just not worth it to me. I took a few pictures today with Mom's camera, but I'm not able to download them....guess that'll just have to wait. I hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment