Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Is the Moon Still Full?!?!?!

You know it's never good when a six-year-old gets in the car after school and says, "Just go ahead and spank me when we get home". Those were Jacob's words to me this afternoon when I picked him up from Mom. You see, there was a policy in my household growing up, that if you got in trouble in school, you were guaranteed to get in worse trouble when you got home! Well, Jacob knows if he flips a card at school, he has sealed his fate for coming home time. So, we got home and he got a little "phft" on the rear and the worse thing of all...grounded for the night from watching television! I've got to ask...has the moon changed from being full yet?! I know I have spoken with a few other moms whose children have been less than their little usual perfect selves, and the moon has been brought into question! My little angel of a second grader has turned into smart mouthed demon boy by the afternoon! It honestly gave me great pleasure to withhold the almighty remote from him tonight! Of course tomorrow night had ALREADY been threatened if he hadn't zipped the lip! This for the child who asked me if he was also grounded from the Wii...and "Yes" was my response. Jacob-"Well, it's not actually a part of the tv." "No, my dear one, but just try playing it without the tv on!"

Me typing this post at 1:00 in the morning is also questionable for the moon. Poor Matthew has had a HORRIBLE night already! Since he has been having such bad nights, we have been sleeping in the living room...it just seems to work better. He had a good night last night, so I thought I would put him in his bed and just sleep with him. He went right to sleep with NO problem, but right as I had laid down with "the six-year-old demon child" because he just can't seem to go to sleep by himself, Matthew begins with a fit. It's one of those screaming wild-eyed fits that absolutely makes you frightened of your own child! I'm in his room in a heartbeat and he wanted to go to the living room. He screamed, thrashed, pinched, scratched, hit, tried to bite, oh it was horrible. If it weren't for the fact of the scenario, I guess it would have been a little humorous to see him get the best of Jason and I, but there was NO humor about it! We finally managed to get him calmed a bit so he could go back to sleep. He has awakened several times since then, but right now is fairly calm. He is awake at this very moment, but is at least sort of calm. This fit has been one of the worst ever. I don't know of what, but you could see the terror on his face. His heart was beating so fast and he had taken the chills or something...his little leg was shaking like a leaf. He also gets so clammy feeling when he has his episodes and tonight his little feet felt like blocks of ice. He is taking his medicine and has had both good and bad moments. Yesterday at school was not good, but last night was really good. Today at school wasn't bad until after lunch, and his afternoon has been perfectly fine. I am just so frustrated and worried...what if there's something medical there and we just don't know it because Matthew can't tell us. Of course it could be night terrors like other children experience, but are perhaps harder on him because of his "condition", as the doctors tend to like to refer to it. I don't know, but I'm about at my wits end! Wonder if a swig of Matthew's high dollar medicine would help me any?! Probably not since it doesn't appear to be helping him either. And NO, I am not actually going to give it a try...can't you people take a joke at 1:25 in the morning?!

4 comments:

Heather said...

First of all...Jacob is hilarious! The Wii question sounds exactly like something mine would ask. I will say that SO FAR my boys have been a lot better this week than they were last week. Still having some issues but not as bad as last week. Maybe all of this new schedule/routine stuff will wear off in a bit and things will calm down some. Secondly...Did the doctor tell you it might take some time before the medicine would really take effect? That just sounds so odd for his leg to be shaking and him to be clammy and cold feet like that. Hmmm...wish I was a doctor and could help a bit! Offer always stands if you just need some company. LOL

Shela Brooks Vincent said...

You would be shocked!!! at how many parents would take the medicine for themselves and not to the child,,,we ran into that alot on homevisits,,that why we would like for the school to give the medicine,,,,but I know that's NOT your case,,,again check his mouth,,,,something has to be hurting that child,,,just can't put a finger on it,,,,,,,

Tiffany Vincent said...

Jacob is hilarious. I can just see him asking you about the Wii! ha! Poor little fella--Why did he flip a card at school?? Hate it that you all had a rough night again last night. How was he at school today? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the medicine starts to help calm him asap. I would give anything if we could figure out exactly what the cause of these terrors are??

Brooke said...

Jacob is reminding me of Colby! What happens to our sweeties at school? Keep your head up with the Matthew issue. Bless his heart. God will point you in the direction of a good answer for your family. Love to you all!