Thursday, September 9, 2010

Music and Fish

Goodness...I can hardly believe I haven't posted in a week! :) I guess since I've had my brain otherwise engaged, I couldn't spare the effort to come up with a post. I decided I'd do a rundown of what we've been up to.

Last Friday we took Jacob out to let him spend some of his gift cards and birthday money. Our first stop was TSC, where he used a gift card and some extra cash to buy four new horses of the animals that he collects. Next stop was Walmart, and he got a new Pokemon DS game and a lovely new guitar. Needless to say, we have been listening to a lot of music around here, and Jacob and his band, "The Crazy T's", have even had a few "gigs" or so he says. :)

On Saturday, we went up to Creekside for a yummy cookout to celebrate my niece, Ashlee's seventeenth birthday. It's still a little hard for me to grasp that she is seventeen AND a senior!! We also listened to even more music! :) Then on Sunday, I finally convinced Jacob to watch Where the Wild Things Are. We've had the movie since Easter, but he never wanted to watch it because he thought it was a scary movie...you know, since it has "wild things" in it! He and Matthew both enjoyed watching it. Oh, and we listened to even MORE music! :o)

Monday was Labor Day, and might I say, I LOVED being at home with Jason and our boys. I managed to get quite a bit accomplished...mopping floors, doing laundry (I don't know when we've had that many towels clean at one time!), cooked us supper, and we even ate at the table...which we love to do, but sometimes we have trouble finding the table since that's our dumping ground for mail, groceries that never manage to get put away, etc....Jason changed the oil in my car, and other than that, we were all inside together. I took time out of my chores and spent some time with the boys watching movies and playing. I even managed to sneak in a teensy weensy nap when Matthew took a long one of his own. This is also the day that Jacob decided to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...and it kinda freaked me out that he watched the dance tutorial with the Oompa Loompa over and over and over again! Oh, let's not forget that we listened to a little more music. :)

I am SO happy to report that Matthew has done WONDERFULLY at walking into school by himself of the morning. I know I blog about this often, but you just don't understand how MAJOR this really is! How awesome for me to not have to "drag" him to the door of the morning while being pinched along the way. He and I BOTH are in a better mood! :) As for the youngest of the family...the boy's education is going to get the best of me. Let me share this...we have studied each night this week for his science test that was today. The first night, he didn't know several of the answers, but I thought, "well, it's early in the week, and he'll get it by tomorrow night." Last night was disastrous come study time. Okay, the test was over life cycles, heredity, direct development, metamorphosis, etc. The boy tried to answer "Fish" to every question I asked. ME: "What is a characteristic that makes one organism different from another? JACOB: "Fish?" ME: "WHAT?!?" ME: What is the process by which traits are passed from parents to offspring? JACOB: "Fish?" ME: "NO!!!" ME: "What is the basic unit of heredity?" JACOB: (If you don't guess what he said by now, well....) "Fish?" ME: "If you answer fish for a question that it does not make sense for one more time, you are going to be in SO much trouble." ME: What is one example of an animal that is most likely to survive and thrive without receiving care from one or both parents?" JACOB: "Uhhummm....uhummm...." ME: "Seriously?? The one question that FISH is the answer to and you don't know it???"!!!! I seriously contemplated staying home from prayer meeting to study with him, but figured if I did, he would end up failing anyway because we missed church. He went to sleep at church and then when he woke up while we were coming in the house, I made him study again until he fell asleep while I was asking him questions. We studied more this morning before leaving the house, we studied all the way to school, and then I told him to use any free time he had before taking his test to review his study guide. When he replied, "So you want me to take this (the review) with me?", I got really worried. "Well how in the world can I expect you to review it if you don't take it with you?" Of course, I should have just been glad he didn't respond with "Fish". Then...I looked at his folder this afternoon, after I had to turn around and go back to school to get it because Mr. Fish forgot it, and I forgot to sign his blasted reading log. If I wasn't rattled enough with the science test (and fish), when I started to sign his folder, I realized I needed to fill out a paper inside, done so, cut it apart to send it back in, and then forgot to sign the reading log. AARG!!

On a different note...Mom and I had a great day shopping for fabric and other goodies for Creekside Creations! We hit up some major sales today and have some wonderful new materials just waiting for us to create some pretty goodies out of them! Of course, we spent two hours at one store...most of that time was spent at the cutting counter, and then another 1/2 hour was spent getting refunded for a $42.02 overcharge....Yep, we had people put their fabric up and walk out while we were there. Sorry, but we were VERY patient and even let people go in front of us at both the fabric counter and cash register.

Now...We've gotta study for a reading test...and there better not be any fish involved!!! :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Well, I didn't mean to lie to you at church but Trent hasn't had that test yet because he has it TOMORROW! And...we had the fish question too:)