Saturday, September 18, 2010

FAIR DAY 2010

We started Fair Day off early by heading up t0 the nursery so that Matthew could stay with Grandma while Jacob and I went to the parade and carnival. I really didn't like for Matthew to not be included in the festivities, but I knew that he would be MUCH happier right where he was. There really isn't anything about the parade or fair that he really likes. Well, except for the food, and he had cotton candy brought back to him, so that was all good. The fire engines are WAY too loud for him...and me too. There is one man that I went to school with who drives one of the engines, who doesn't use his siren continuously. He will flip it on for a second every now and then, but for the most part leaves it off. He is also the same one who a few years ago saw that the sirens were really bothering Matthew and radioed for all the fire trucks to cut their sirens. I think all fire departments should have the consideration of the one fellow, and only use their sirens intermittently, through the parade. Shucks, there's enough of them that it will be one continuous siren anyway. Ha...getting off my soap box now! :) Jacob and I met up with Uncle Jeromy, Aunt Christie and Michael, as well as Grandmama and Patrick, to watch the parade. Here's a picture of Jacob with his bag for goodies!

There were lots of beauties and babies in the parade, including Logan! She came in first runner up in the Miss Edmonson County pageant this year.
Ashlee rode on the SENIOR float. (And yes, I am STILL having a hard time coming to grips with the idea of our baby girl being a senior. I'm not quite sure how Nannie will handle graduation night...I doubt it will be very pretty! Gracious, I still remember crying at her PRESCHOOL graduation...)

Both elementary schools always have really nice floats, and this year was NO exception! I am not one of those that thinks our school should win the award no matter what. I think the one with the best float should, and this year, I LOVED Kyrock's float. Kudos to those that designed and made it! This year, they were my pick, just like the year that South had that most awesome cave was my pick for winner! Well, not that my opinions matter! :) This picture does not do the float justice, but I couldn't get the entire float in the picture, so I captured the Blackhawk!

This is the third grade poster, and it was made in a quilt design, with each child having designed a quilt block. I took a picture of Jacob's Statue of Liberty. He was really keeping with the theme of "red, white and blue" in his design! :) I love it!


Here is the beginning of the carnival rides! First, Jacob and Patrick rode this...(that's Jacob's little head right behind the car in front. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a picture of that thing in motion?!)


This is the same ride, and Patrick and Jacob are about in the middle of the picture. I just wanted to give a better idea of what the ride is like to those who haven't seen it...you'll understand why later.

Then the boys went and rode the big pirate ship. This was ride number 2. This was also the ride that I heard a terrible curse word blare over the speakers. At least the dude had the courtesy to turn the song off...after the word had blared out across the midway.

Ride number 3. The sizzler...which looks and sounds AWFUL! I mean, would it be that much trouble to apply a coat of paint and a good dose of grease to the ride. It made the most horrible sound. Really made me anxious for my child to ride it...I just knew one of the seats would break off and launch itself to Brownsville. Didn't help either that some of the seats were out of operation...how do I know that whatever is wrong with that one, couldn't go wrong with the one my kid just climbed into! But at least I got a good picture before it started up.

Fourth ride! Ashlee and Jacob rode the Star ride again...the same as ride number 1. This is a before picture. Oh, I should have said this was the fourth and FINAL ride, and that if I took an after picture, I'm sure you would all be convinced that Jacob had transformed into a vampire. The poor little guy was as pale as a ghost...I mean, he looked REALLY bad! (I told him he should have ate breakfast!) He never actually threw up (unlike another boy who was riding at the same time) but he went as far to put his hand over his mouth. I took him to get a drink and sat with him on the bleachers for a bit, and he said he wanted to go home. I KNEW he had to be really sick to want to leave, after he had been so excited to go in the first place. So, after four rides and NO caramel apple, we left. I just wanted to get him to feeling better. He drank a little Gatorade and nibbled a cracker when we got back to the greenhouse and was feeling better soon. I'd say so since he ate some of Uncle Jeromy's nachos, Aunt Christie's Frito pie and Ashlee's caramel apple! They were so sweet to bring me back a caramel apple, which I did offer to share, and Matthew and Jacob both a big bag of cotton candy! :) Oh, lets not forget the massive amount of goldfish that Ashlee and Michael won...which we brought two, named Todd and Tom, home to add to our aquarium, and the kids let the others loose in the creek. That may have been the highlight of Jacob's day!



2 comments:

Heather said...

I guess that explains why we didn't see you there! That "motion sick" feeling is AWFUL!!

Wanda May said...

Love his heart....(I am so glad the fair is over)