As the title states, we have verified that the age-old tradition of bribery really does work! :) Well, in Matthew's case it works...especially if what you are using as the bribe is FOOD! Matthew has continued to get out of the car EVERY DAY, by himself, carry his backpack and walk to the door! He caught on to the 'bribe' very quickly and started to sign "candy" as soon as he saw one of his teachers through the glass of the door when they were coming to let him in. Now, he just signs it as soon as I open the car door for him. :) This morning was a little extra sweet...I asked him to close the car door, and he did. (With me making sure all of his fingers were well out of the way.) After closing the door, he started signing and "talking" to his reflection in the car! It was very funny...and quite cute...and I had a hard time getting him to break away from himself in order to walk to the door. Then when he got to the door, he waved really big at his reflection there too. =) I told his teachers about this, and they said that he loves to do that in the full length mirror that they have in the bathroom. I think I may see a new "learning tool" there. I actually remember reading once about how some kids learned to communicate by watching themselves in the mirror, but at that time, Matthew showed NO interest what-so-ever. Now I could actually see him doing it. He is also being a little more communicative nowadays, as long as the mood is right! Just this afternoon he was a little ugly to Jacob and I told him he needed to give Jacob sugars. With quite the attitude he shook his head NO and said, "Uh, uh". He is such a rascal when he wants to be. And yes, he has developed quite the attitude. He lets you know right quick when things do not go his way...yes, I can definitely tell I have a teenager in my midst! He still cracks me up though when he thinks he can tell me what he wants and then kisses me to "bribe" me into getting it. YES, his bribery usually works too! :)
Jacob has been enjoying his birthday goodies this week! On Monday afternoon, we came home after school and I had the joy of working through all the twist-ties on the toy packages...seriously...what in the world are those toy manufacturers thinking?!?! One of Jacob's favorite things is a small skateboard that I got him...seriously...what was I thinking?!?! I was in Kohl's, looking for him an outfit and they had some doubler shirts on sale and they included skateboards with them! I thought...a little over ten bucks for a long sleeve shirt AND a skateboard was not bad...ha, two gifts in one, AND they were over half off! (Yes, I made sure the wheels turned on the skateboard and that it was "real"!) :) So far, I have let him skateboard back and forth between the living room and playroom...on the carpet. I'm not even comfortable enough to let him loose on the kitchen linoleum, much less blacktop! Shucks, I was afraid I was going to be making an ER run the other night...for myself! Yes, I thought I would give it a whirl, and I guess my weight is a little more than the wheels like, and when I went to "skate", it practically stopped and threw me off the front. Needless to say, Jacob and I both had a good laugh! (Yes, the door was closed and the blinds were pulled!) :) Jacob has told me that I need to get him a skateboarding teacher! One thing is for sure; it will NOT be me! HA!
Some of you may still be wondering about the "news" that I mentioned a week or two ago, but never divulged any more info about. Like I said, it was nothing that exciting, but I hope that it may lead to some very positive changes to our family's future, so I wanted to make sure to include it on the blog. Jason is taking classes to become an EMT. The job that he has now, while we are thankful that he has it, just does not have any opportunities for advancement. The company has made major cut backs and is no longer offering bonuses or raises. Being an EMT is something that Jason has wanted to do for years, and is something that I think he will be good at. Plus, I love the idea of living with someone who has medical training! :) We are hoping that after he becomes certified, it will lead to a job at an ambulance service close-by. Jason will also become one of our first responders for our local fire department. He is also working on training hours to become a certified fire fighter...which is something else he loves! When we were dating and talking seriously about marriage, Jason wanted to be a police officer....and I talked him out of it. I'm sorry, but I had a huge fear of him arresting some big drug lord, testifying in court and then the drug person sending their cronies after our family! Silly??? Probably, but I feel much better about him being an EMT and Firefighter! :) I know they both hold dangers too, and I will worry about him non-stop while he is on shift, but I also know that he will be doing something that he enjoys more than working in a factory at a dead-end position.
My last little update...several people have been asking me about my mom. She went and had her stitches removed last Friday. Her doctor told her that he was very proud of her for all she had been through. He told her she had been through a major ordeal, and that she had had a big place on her head. (Yes, I will agree with him!) Some have also asked about this...yes, Mom was awake through everything they did. Yep, the shots hurt that numbed her head, and she said one of the worst things was that she could hear everything they did. She has been so sickly/nauseous and he told her it could have been the meds she was on, or it could have been from the stress of it all. Either way, she has lost at least 23 pounds. I am happy to say that now I can see a big improvement in her daily! She is able to eat a little more, has more strength, and is starting to sew again! (Whew, I was really worried that I was going to have to try to master the sewing machine too...and NO ONE wanted that to happen! I don't think she or I would have enough patience for that right now!!!) We actually made our first trip to BG today that was not doctor related. We hit up the fabric shops and stocked up on a few things to keep Momma busy for a while! :) Oh yes, back to her update...the doctor told her that while NO ONE could say they were 100% cancer free, she could say that she was 99% cancer free! We'll definitely take that and be happy with it!!!! And, she doesn't have to go back to the doctor for a year!
Oh, one other little thing...Jacob's school is collecting "pop-tops" or "pull-tabs" (whatever you want to call them) from aluminum cans. As most people know, families with sick children in the hospital, can use those to help them stay at Ronald McDonald houses, so they are close to their children. This IS NOT a fundraiser for the school! They are simply collecting the tabs from now until November, and will turn them in to help those families who are in need of them. (I think the kiddos who participate do get an ice cream cone from McDonald's. =) It is also NOT a contest to see who can bring the most in. It is just a school wide effort to help those who need it. SO...be sure to save up those pop tops and give them to any student or faculty member of Kyrock, or I'm sure you could drop them by the main office at school...just don't tell them I sent ya, in case they don't want you to!!!! HA!! :)

2 comments:
Good to read about the newest happenings with your sweet family. I wish Jason the best and hope it all works out. So glad Rometta is feeling better, I didn't know she had been sick. Send her my love! XOXOXO
Whenever Jacob finds someone to teach him to skate, send them our way when your finished:)
Post a Comment