Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Matthew's Arm Update

I took Matthew to see the orthopedist this morning, and he had more x-rays taken. Dr. Burch said his arm is healing nicely and that there has been a lot of new bone formation. He said the x-rays looked more like 4 week x-rays than 3 week ones, and he should only have to wear the cast for 2 more weeks. YAY! That thing is getting dirty and smelly! He told me I could lightly spray Febreeze on it to help the smell. (We accidentally swiped deodorant on it one morning, and I thought it surely couldn't hurt!) I think he might have put him in a Velcro brace today, but I knew Matthew would never keep it on. He said it was so weak right now that if he fell on it without a cast, it would be easily re-injured. In 2 weeks it will be plenty strong. He even asked with a chuckle if the cast had become a weapon :) Surely we can endure 2 more weeks.

Matthew has enjoyed being out of school today. I will be taking him to speech and KAP this afternoon, and I'm excited to see how he does today. When I picked him up at KAP last Thursday, his assistant for the day said he had done wonderfully. He talked lots and even said "dinosaur"!!! She said he followed directions really well, and wanted to do everything (including drinking from a regular cup) independently!!! I hope this week goes as well ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that calcium intake from cheese is causing him to heal ahead of schedule. ;o)

Heather said...

That's great! I'm sure he'll be glad to get that thing off.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

The deleted comment was me. For some reason I hit it twice and it put the same comment again. I got a little finger happy:)