Monday, August 8, 2011

BEACH VACATION ~ Day 1

We were so excited to be able to go on a beach vacation this year! What started out as plans for us to go to Pigeon Forge for a night or two turned into a full blown beach vacation with my parents, brother and his family. Jacob was really excited, since he had never been to the ocean before, but the wait was almost unbearable for all of us! With the nursery, it is almost impossible for Jeromy and Christie to get away, but we worked really hard to get all of the pumpkins planted and watermelons fertilized, so we could make this week happen.








We pulled out of the nursery at 4:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, July 10th. I really thought that Jacob would sleep the biggest portion of the way, but he stayed up longer than anyone else...except Jason who was driving. Matthew really surprised me and slept for a couple of hours. We stopped in Athens, Alabama and had breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Matthew was not real happy that they didn't serve macaroni and cheese at 6:30 in the morning, but he finally ate his apples anyway.

How sweet is this little angel?We drove right on along and only stopped once more for gas and then once for a Mickey D's drive-thru lunch.

I'm sure most people know this already, but since I was clueless, I will share...Miramar Beach, Destin, etc., are actually located on a peninsula, so therefore you must cross the bay to get there. Jacob was in awe at the amount of water he was seeing as we crossed over the bridge...and he hadn't really seen anything yet! Me? Well, it was okay. Ha. I have this little issue with bridges...I just don't like 'em that much. Small bridges don't bother me, but long bridges, and especially those that are not flat, kinda make me a smidgey nervous. Anyway, we drove straight on to our house that we had rented.



Someone was VERY excited to be at the house! (Yes, Matthew de-stuffed my pillow and perhaps thought it was cotton candy. NOTE: I removed the fluff from his mouth AFTER I took this most awesome picture of his sweet smile, so all was good.)

Jacob headed straight for his bunk bed! :)

This little guy was SUPER happy to have a big bed to bounce around on!

This was the view from our living room...I loved sitting on the couch and being able to see dolphins in the water!It was Gulf Splendor II, technically located in Miramar Beach. The only thing separating our house from the beach was Gulf Splendor I, which is owned by the same person, so that both houses can be rented out to really large groups. Our house was three stories, (NO...we are NOT missing climbing all of those steps!), 4 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, and had a pool on the deck! We loved that! We had a view of the ocean right from our living room window too. We got all of our luggage unpacked, rested a bit, and Jason took Jacob down the beach for his first glimpse. Then we headed out to eat. We had several places we wanted to try, and Harry T's was our first meal out. We lucked up and got seated right away, and the food was yummy. Harry T's is right on the harbor, and we had seats where we could watch the boats going in and out.

Matthew waiting for his mac and cheese at Harry T's...


The rest of the gang waiting to eat at Harry T's.After eating, we made a run to Walmart to get groceries and supplies for the week. We headed back to the house and I went with Jeromy, Christie, Ashlee, Mom and Jacob for an evening walk on the beach. Ummm, I was tee-totally wore out by the time I got back to the house and told Jason he was more than welcome to go on any other "strolls" and that I would stay with Bubba. Ha.
***My goal is to post all of our vacation pictures this week. However, I have lots of pictures that make it very hard to decide which to post, and my OCD kind of kicks into over-drive. Not to mention blogger is not being very cooperative about uploading my photos!




1 comment:

Heather said...

Can't wait to see the rest. I love vacation pictures!