Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June...Summer Break, Grad Party, Father's Day, etc.

WARNING: This is a LOOONNNNGGGG post! I just figured I'd cover an entire month at a time since it seems I never have enough time to do individual posts these days...

We are really enjoying our summer break so far! We've done some fun things, but we've also enjoyed just being lazy if we want to be. :) Let's see, so far...we enjoyed a Memorial Day cookout at Mamaw Skaggs' house with lots of our family, Matthew got new glasses and the news that his eyes have actually improved since last year, Jacob and Jason have went with friends to watch the Hot Rods in action, Jacob went with Patrick and Grandmama to the community center to watch wrestling and you would have thought they were seeing WWE, and we had Ashlee's graduation party. That's all in the first week! Here are some pictures from her party...

Her cake was made by Grandma, and here is a shot of the yummy food...Subway trays, homemade chicken salad on croissants, Zaxby's chicken tenders and wings...I'm making myself hungry just typing about it!


Candy Buffet...


Opening her gift from us...I made the card with my Cricut...


The guest of honor and the banner I made hanging in the background...Matthew has started his summer sessions at KAP, and to say he loves it might be an understatement! I can mention going to college and he is bursting at the seams to get ready, out the door and on to BG. I only wish he would be so excited to go to school everyday! Jacob and I have been enjoying our time together while Matthew is at KAP. We usually stop for sausage and cheese croissants and big ole sweet teas from Sonic and then we usually head back to the greenhouse to wait until time to pick up Bubba. Jacob enjoys being able to play outside, and he enjoys arguing playing with Ashlee and Michael. :) The second week after school was out, it was MUM planting time at the greenhouse, so we worked up there. Once Jacob learned he could earn money by helping, he couldn't get enough done. Jason and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary during this week...on June 7th. We spent yet another anniversary at the ball park watching Jacob play ball, but then we headed out to Cracker Barrel after the game! :) They also brought the new building that will be the home of Creekside Creations during that week! It is getting very close to being completed and we are excited! The walls and ceilings are up and they are laying the flooring tomorrow. The electric will just need to be finished up and then we will install the cabinets, shelving, etc. We should be up and running before long! We have also helped with planting watermelons and sowing LOTS and LOTS of pumpkin and gourd seeds. I love that Jacob likes to help...even if it's only for the money! Matthew also let me know that he LOVES riding the four wheeler! He kept pointing at it, so I strapped him in for a ride and each time I would circle close to the building, he would get mad because he thought he would have to get off. I ended up taking the boys over onto Grandpa and Grandma's farm and riding them around the fields over there. Matthew, Jacob and I all LOOOOVVVVEDDD it! If the weather cooperates, next week will be pumpkin planting week...it's hard to imagine that it's already time for that. It's really hard to believe that one whole month of summer break is already over!


On Sunday, June 19th, we celebrated Father's Day. We had cards and a couple of shirts for Jason and Jacob had made him a couple of things before school was out. We went to Sunday School and Matthew actually WANTED to go to class. (He usually prefers to stay with Jason while I teach Jacob's class, but this particular day he wanted to go. He even colored a coloring sheet and everything.) Afterward, we drove down to the cemetery as has been our tradition for the past nine years. I did manage to get some really sweet photos...


We went out for a light lunch at Sonic and came home for a little rest before heading over to Grandpa and Grandma's for steaks. Oh. So. Yummy.


Here's a couple of stories of Matthew's days of KAP that I enjoyed and want to remember:Last Monday, they took the kiddos to Basil Griffin Park to feed the ducks. When I picked Matthew up, one of the staff workers was telling me that he really seemed to enjoy it. He said he sat up straight, didn't lay down in the dirt and when he would hand Matthew a piece of bread he would take the crust off, throw that to the birds and HE would eat the white part. Sounds SOOO much like my Matthew! The staff guy said that it was like Matthew was saying, a piece for you and a piece for me. :) Then on Tuesday they took the kids to the movies to watch Shrek 3. They said he loved it...once they got him in the car. He apparently had no desire to leave and they had left him at KAP with the same staff member who I referred to in the duck and bread story. When one of the other guys got back, they were like, let's pack him out. But once he got out the doors, they said he was just fine. They also took them bowling. Matthew was watching the other kids bowl, and they said eventually he wandered over to the balls and was kind of like, do I want to try that or not? The staff guy said by the time he got to him, Matthew was like, nah, don't believe I will. :) BUT, it was great that he was watching the other kids and was considering to try to do what they were.


Last but not least, we have managed to go out on the boat once and of course we all loved that. For whatever the reason, the first thing Matthew said to me this morning (after eating breakfast, of course) was "boat". I guess he figured a Tuesday was as good a day as any to head to the lake...except the little fact that everyone who knows how to get the pontoon into the water was at work. :) Jacob also finished up his ballgames and we went to trophy night this past Friday, which I will have to post pictures of later. Gosh, to read about it, it seems like we have been awfully busy so far this summer, but we have enjoyed ourselves so far! By the way, if you've actually read all the way to the end of this blog post, you should give yourself a congratulatory pat on the back! ;)



5 comments:

Robin lich said...

Sounds like you all are having a great time and Matthew is doing great at KAP.
I can't wait to see the new store up and running that is not on the road.

The Browning's said...

Loved reading your post!!!

Julie said...

Sounds like fun! I am sure Jacob is a big helper!

Wanda May said...

Love that Matthew is getting so interested in life...what a fine young man he will be...and looks like Jacob has his eyes set on the prize...no matter how hard the work is...do a good job...and there be money....love y'all...

Heather said...

I did read it all! I love reading about what you and the boys have been up to. Hope the next month is as good as this one was for you!