Thursday, August 9, 2012

First Day of School

Last Wednesday, August 1st, was the first day of school for the boys.  If Matthew were to go along with his like-aged peers, he would have started his freshman year of high school.  As it is, he is now in what is considered 7th grade for record purposes, and this is to allow him to remain one more year at the 5/6 Center, which we are very excited about!  I really think he needs this extra year before having to go to high school.  Jacob began his 5th grade year!
Of course, what 1st day of school would be complete without dinner at Cracker Barrel?!?!  Some little fella was pretty excited about that!
 My big 5th grader
Jacob and Dad
 Mom and Matthew...he completely refused to look at the camera.

Jacob and I both thought that it seemed very odd not to be going to Kyrock on that first morning.  I then realized that this was the first time in nine years that I had not been to Kyrock for a first day of school.  Wow.  That makes me feel old.  While Matthew seemed VERY ready to head to school, Jacob and I were both nervous for his first day in a new building.  Jacob actually wanted me to walk in with him on the first day, so we used the excuse of carrying in several bags of "optional" supplies for me to go in with him.  I didn't stay long because I didn't want to embarrass him, and I wondered about him all day long.  He had a pretty good day the first day.  On the second day, he and some of his other classmates forgot to get one of their books for one class.  They are only allowed to go to their lockers prior to certain classes, so that results in having to plan ahead for which books to get out of the locker at which break.  Jacob was not happy to feel like he got in trouble on the second day of school.  That seemed to set his nerves in motion, and I actually ended up having to pick him up early on Friday because he had just worried himself sick.  Come to find out, he had trouble with his locker wanting to jam on him and he thought he was going to be late for class.  He got all nervous and it just made him feel sick to his stomach.  So far every day this week has began with a tummy ache.  He has some wonderful teachers who are helping to keep an eye on him and I know he will enjoy it once he feels a little more confident in himself.

Matthew is acting every bit the big man on campus.  Some of the things that his teachers tell me about are so funny.  I am just really glad that he enjoys it so much!  We are hoping for a great year for both boys!



1 comment:

Julie said...

I miss Jacob! He will do great! He'll get the hang of that locker soon!