Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sick Boy

It amazes me how fast sickness seems to hit. Yesterday morning when Jacob woke up, he coughed a few times and said it hurt his chest to do so. His cough really didn't sound bad at all, and I assumed it was just a little early morning drainage that would probably clear up in an hours time. He never made another complaint and I dropped him off at school. When I picked him up, he mentioned that he'd had some "mucous" as he calls it, in his throat that had made him cough and had made his throat a little sore. He also said his head had hurt some. When we got home, he said he was freezing, and I felt his forehead...temp was 100.9. He covered up and went off to sleep, and took a long nap. When he got up, his cough was sounding worse, so I knew we were in for a doctor's visit today. By the time he woke up this morning, he sounded TERRIBLE! While we were waiting to check in at the registration desk in the peds department, he began to cough, and the mother in front of us looked at him like he had the plague...he really did sound rough, but gee whiz, I wasn't staring at her kid.

Turns out, Jacob has pneumonia in his left lung. Dr. Stewart also tested him for flu, which we were thankful for a negative result. Jacob was NOT happy about having to have that swab rammed up his nose again. (Remember, it had only been a little over a month since he had a flu test.) He was a trooper, and I think the swab-rammer woman was more tore up about him being tested than he was....I almost felt sorry for her. Along with the pneumonia, he also has an ear infection, so his antibiotic will help for both. The doctor also prescribed him an inhaler, and he thinks he's pretty hot stuff with that. (Ha...I can always remember wanting one when I was young, but seeing the effect the albuterol has on him, kinda makes me want to have one now!!!) He has to stay home from school until he is fever free for 24 hours, and until the coughing subsides. Since he's already shot his perfect attendance for the year, the staying home part doesn't bother him too much, but the fact that he will have to miss his basketball class tournament game is the real crusher. He has really begun to love to shoot hoops, and usually grabs his ball and heads out the door as soon as we get home on days it's pretty enough to be out. He has looked so forward to playing Thursday night. I told him that since he would have to miss out on the game, that we would do something fun to help make up for it. The mention of Chuck E. Cheese's brought a smile to his face. I am so ready for sunny days and healthy people! I STILL have this lingering, pesky cough that is hanging around from my bout of illness a month ago. I would like to go to church without coughing through the entire service.

I really can't believe it's been so long since I've posted, but I just can't seem to get it together here lately. Just tonight, I was supposed to give Jason a 10 minute head-start, then call in an order at Bertie's for him. I remembered it when my cell phone rang about 30 minutes later! Gosh, I didn't want to answer that call, and instead of saying "hello", I just started out with "I'm so sorry." I wasn't as sorry for him not getting his chicken sandwich as I was for the employees thinking he was an idiot...I mean who comes to pick up a call-in order that has never been called-in?! I think the boys and I may just be asleep when he comes home later! Anyway, I do plan to post about Matthew's birthday party before the month is over, and it's over halfway there now....I hate being such a slacker! :) P.S. Please over-look any spelling mistakes...blogger will not run spell check for me, and I'm too lazy to re-read for mistakes myself. I mean, if I can't call in a take-out order, I'm sure I have made some spelling errors!



2 comments:

Wanda May said...

So hate it that Jacob is sick...and we know Mathew will be next...dang it...hang in there..oh and your pesky cough...I have had mine over 2 months...

Heather said...

I hate so bad that he is sick. If you all do go to Chuck E. Cheese, see me first! I have several coupons that might come in handy. I took the boys there this afternoon after Trace's allergy checkup because I had so many coupons that were fixing to expire. I have one for some free tickets to put with other tickets that he wins. I'll try to run them out to you maybe tomorrow evening.