Tonight I decided I'd get my "Paula Deen" on, and I whipped up her Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler. I saw her make this on her show one day, and it looked so yummy and easy. So, I threw it together for us to have this evening, I must say, it turned out pretty Yumm-O. If interested, you can find the recipe online.
And, besides it being an easy and yummy treat, I was able to use a dish that I have had since our wedding shower for the very first time! Yep, it's been sitting on a shelf collecting dust for almost 15 years! I had always thought it was too pretty and fancy to actually use, and I honestly didn't quite know what I could fix in it...I also wasn't completely sure that this recipe would turn out well in it, but it seemed to do wonderfully!! I had actually stuck several instruction pamphlets from a lot of my other cookware and small appliances in this particular "pretty" dish, and I had fun going through some of the things in there. The very first thing I pulled out was a shower card from a church friend who recently passed away...I had no idea it was in there...there were also a few other cards, as well as the receipt for mine and Jason's first trip to the grocery as a married couple. :) We went to Save-a-lot on June 12...we married on June 7, and this was the day we came home from our honeymoon. Ha...it was funny to see some of the things we bought. Of course we had to buy EVERYTHING, since we were just starting out, so we had everything from a loaf of bread ($.99), frozen pizzas, canned veggies ($.29 a can), cereal, pot pies, brownie mix, a chicken fajita kit (I specifically remember Jason puking after eating this.), paper towels, toilet paper, Star cleanser ($.33, was like Comet), 2 things of vegetable oil...I planned on really using that fry daddy...used it one time!...a fly swatter for a whopping $.33, milk ($1.99 gallon), a mop and a broom, and several other "must haves" for newly weds! Our entire bill ended up being $96.05! I can't go to Walmart and get have of that stuff for that price now!!! Anyway, it made a fun little trip down memory lane. :)
And, besides it being an easy and yummy treat, I was able to use a dish that I have had since our wedding shower for the very first time! Yep, it's been sitting on a shelf collecting dust for almost 15 years! I had always thought it was too pretty and fancy to actually use, and I honestly didn't quite know what I could fix in it...I also wasn't completely sure that this recipe would turn out well in it, but it seemed to do wonderfully!! I had actually stuck several instruction pamphlets from a lot of my other cookware and small appliances in this particular "pretty" dish, and I had fun going through some of the things in there. The very first thing I pulled out was a shower card from a church friend who recently passed away...I had no idea it was in there...there were also a few other cards, as well as the receipt for mine and Jason's first trip to the grocery as a married couple. :) We went to Save-a-lot on June 12...we married on June 7, and this was the day we came home from our honeymoon. Ha...it was funny to see some of the things we bought. Of course we had to buy EVERYTHING, since we were just starting out, so we had everything from a loaf of bread ($.99), frozen pizzas, canned veggies ($.29 a can), cereal, pot pies, brownie mix, a chicken fajita kit (I specifically remember Jason puking after eating this.), paper towels, toilet paper, Star cleanser ($.33, was like Comet), 2 things of vegetable oil...I planned on really using that fry daddy...used it one time!...a fly swatter for a whopping $.33, milk ($1.99 gallon), a mop and a broom, and several other "must haves" for newly weds! Our entire bill ended up being $96.05! I can't go to Walmart and get have of that stuff for that price now!!! Anyway, it made a fun little trip down memory lane. :)

3 comments:
How neat was finding that receipt?! I remember our first grocery trip. We spent about $150 at Walmart and Jeremy nearly hyperventilated! We don't go there and spend money now that he doesn't say "What I would give for that price now!' Neat post Natalie!
That made me think of our first grocery trip. It was to Kroger (one of the most expensive places, we didn't know any better). He and I both had a buggy that was rounded over. Fun to think about:)
Oh, now I really want peach cobbler... Looks awesome. I can remember our first shopping trip, too. I couldn't believe how much it took to stock a kitchen for the first time. I think we went to Kroger, too. That's so funny!
Post a Comment