Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Matthew Story

This is definitely a story I want to remember, so I must post it here.  Just to put it bluntly, Matthew got the cops called today!  From what I gathered, while I stood there open-mouthed listening to KAP staff recount the events, this is close to what occurred:  The KAP staff were walking the participants over to the planetarium, which I am hoping they mean they were walking from the van being parked close by because that is a pretty big hike for anyone, but especially Matthew!  Apparently he felt like he had walked enough, so he laid down on the sidewalk.  All I can figure is that someone was going by, thought he had passed out and called 911.  The guy that was on staff with Matthew said he thought someone had either been shot or stabbed, or that terrorists were attacking with the way the police pulled in on two wheels!  I'm sure they had lights and sirens as well, but I was standing in complete awe as they were telling me the story, so I didn't even think to ask questions!  Also, being familiar with how different agencies are dispatched, I am assuming that EMS was probably in route as well, and the responding police officer/s called in to turn them back around.  Of all the things I need pictures to share, this would be the story!  I just wanted to share it here, so I can look back to remember when Matthew and his orneriness got the police called!  :)

Other than being the cause of such ruckus today, Matthew has really been doing well at KAP!  They told me that he had been so talkative today.  He was so excited to go in this morning, that he was practically running and I just knew that he was going to nose-dive the blacktop any moment from getting off balance.  He has changed classrooms, and has been adjusting to that move.  Yesterday morning, there were no staff to direct him to his class as soon as we walked in, so he immediately headed for the white room.  One of the guys came up the other hall and I asked where he was supposed to go and he said it was okay that he went to the white room.  He went to get him and said, "Well, he's locked me out."  Matthew just went right in and locked the door!  (It is a split door, and from where I was I couldn't tell if he only locked the bottom portion or the whole door, but they could easily get him out.)  Obviously this is a center that deals with children with all sorts of needs; I'm pretty sure they're gonna think of a scenario where one of them figures out the locks on the door.  :)  Matthew has also felt compelled to ask so very plainly and excitedly for a hot dog and grilled cheese both yesterday and today, and I just couldn't say no.  Yep, I'm a softy!  The way I see it, he only has two days next week left of summer KAP, so what's it gonna hurt?


No comments: